Ladies and Gentle men of the Mosrite forum...

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Ladies and Gentle men of the Mosrite forum...

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Mel, Mick and Aaron have already seen this on my facebook page so I thought I'd share it here. In a few days I'm going to have the rare opportunity to dismantle a 1965 Mosrite Ventures 2 model (slab body) for the purpose of producing templates. The guy I'm building a neck and body for owns this guitar and wants me to replicate the neck as close accurate as possible. Thanks go to forum member Amy who owns Arthurs Music Store in Indianapolis, IN for hooking me up with the guy and for sending me these pictures. As always I will document the process as accurately as I can and take a crap load of pictures. Here it is.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Re: Ladies and Gentle men of the Mosrite forum...

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm having problems resizing the pics to fit this message so here's a link to my photobucket album. http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... 2%20model/

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Looks like another one that has been hiding for years, very nice! I'm of the crazy belief that most of the original slab bodied guitars have survived. The reason I think most of them are still out there somewhere is: These were cheap guitars(by Mosrite standards) and most probably got played a little and then put away in a closet somewhere. Johnny Ramone made them somewhat famous, and they just seem to keep coming out of the woodwork, and most of them in very nice condition. Some are dead mint! Every 6 months or so one turns up on ebay or cl, sometimes cheap, and gets resold to a collector. One of these days I'm going to check all my notes and count up who has what, and how many. When you figure how many have been accounted for on this forum alone, with the fact that probably only 150 were made, the odds just aren't in the slab bodies favor. But they just keep turning up! You just can't argue with my pretzel logic.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next one. Keep us updated on your progress,

Rocco
Red Ventures II #B003
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Is there a way you can post some pics of yours so we can have a pictoral reference? I saw a picture of yours a long time ago with a Mosely? trem is that the original trem?

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Holy Mother of B-17s!!! :shock: ...s/n (B017)that's unbelievable!!!! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

I have the original stamped trem for my guitar, it currently has a SOLID Mosley tailpiece, like the one on Johnny Ramones custom guitar. It really helps the guitar stay in tune, and didn't screw up the body when installing, the original will bolt right back in. As for originality's sake, it is more than likely never for sale, so I don't let that bother me. The tuners were changed too, long before I got the guitar. But I consider myself very lucky to have ever gotten the guitar, and it was less than 2 miles from my house. Only took me 20 years to find though!

I need to take some new photos, maybe this weekend.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:26 pm

I almost forgot, it was refretted with proper frets that I got from Loretta. The originals were literally popping out, and quite worn.

Rocco

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 am

Holy Mother of B-17s!!! :shock: ...s/n (B017)that's unbelievable!!!! ;)

Mick showed me this guitar and I totally flipped. I couldn't believe how good of condition it was in. Kev and I are planning to have him take template measurements of my japanese version too, I'd like to see how they compare. a pic side by side would be awesome too. ::hint hint Kev::

I was going though some pictures I had saved in my photobucket, and check out what I found. look at the serial number ;)

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57 ... 5546_o.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57 ... ad55_o.jpg
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

by the way, as far as I can tell I could only find 13 of these guitars I've ever seen in the world. I'm hoping there's more to find. :D
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 am

HOLY CRAP! B018
now lets find out what Johnnys serial number was and see if it's close

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”