Survey of Mosrite serial numbers ***Please read***

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Survey of Mosrite serial numbers ***Please read***

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:44 am

Yeah, well since Dave only has S/Ns to work with as opposed to any kind of nominal numbers, this might be the only
way to set up some kind of chronological order of when changes did take place on 'the Ventures' Models.
At this time, I'm going to hold back on any kind of Registry on the Forum since there was no feedback from anyone,
but most important, it might interfere with what Dave is trying to set up here, however I will try my idea at a later
time once I figure out how I'm going to set this up....... :|
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:56 am

Hey Dave, I have my doubts if serial numbers are required by law on guitars. I think, from what I've read, that serial number marking on guitars began back when "build order numbers" began to be used in manufacturing to track an order through the factory. The purpose being to make sure all of the components come together for a specific customers order and then shipped on time. Therefore the original purpose is more linked to productivity, customer service, etc., not so much to give a guitar it's unique ID. I've read that even for Gibson they did not get a handle on serializing guitars well until the 1970's.

For Mosrite, it would make sense to me that during it's hayday when they had ~100 employees that the condition would also exist to track orders through the factory for such business purposes as well. Coming from a Quality Assurance background I can certainly recognize how easy it would be for guitars to get out the door with duplicative serial numbers or no number at all. When you take into the equation that there were at least two fires that I know of which probably destroyed any documentation; as well as during tough business times when there were few employees or no employees at all; and consider turnover, training new people, people make mistakes, and the list of variation possibilities goes on and on, it's going to be tough to nail anything with certainty.

In my opinion, the best we can do at this time is to recreate the information by having a master list, or registry, or some other manner to document and record the guitars that are still in existence today. Due to my passion for the Celebrity models, I intend to do exactly that with my research and website. Perhaps someone else will pick up the torch for the other models (hint, hint!). Time will tell! :)
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

gregsguitars

Postby gregsguitars » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 am

The Ventures model on my site is # 2180
The bass is # B0105
and the Celebrity is #K0420
Greg.
Greg's guitars offering a fine eclectic selection of Fretted electric,acoustic bass guitars,amps and parts worldwide.

gregsguitars

Postby gregsguitars » Wed May 26, 2010 6:23 am

Semie was a maker of guitars and as oft happens sometimes you use what is available at the time as far as paints and parts, though they all carry the same respected appointments, like any guitar maker not every detail will be remembered or scribed for future buffs to ponder. It is a great undertaking on your part and I hope you can assemble as much information as possible, Good luck, as I have in the past went on the quest with my R.G.G. "The Grammer Guitars" and was quite successful. Greg.
Greg's guitars offering a fine eclectic selection of Fretted electric,acoustic bass guitars,amps and parts worldwide.

gregsguitars

Postby gregsguitars » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Mosrite Ventures 12 string in blue Serial # T 132

tom villaflor

Postby tom villaflor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:40 am

Joined the forum just a few days ago ,and wanted to add my info..My Mark 1 is serial
#3850...November 1966 stamped in the neck pocket,moseley tailpiece,..sunburst..,no truss rod cover on the headstock,..."m" top hat knobs,..."moserite " logo on the pick ups..
tom villaflor

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:29 pm

Rather than making a long list of Celebrity serial numbers that will most certainly grow I'll paste a link to the Serial Number page of my website. I'm due for an update so another dozen will be added soon.

http://www.mosritecelebrity.com/page7.html
1982 Fender Bullet

yvess

Postby yvess » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:07 am

Hello,
At first, thank you for your fantastic job, giving us all specs and models of Mosrite guitars. It's really amazing and helpful !!!
To answer you : my Mosrite is (I think so) a "Moseley model" made in 1964. Serial number is "v 3477". 7 screws on pickguard (10 would has been useful as after almost 50 years, few pickguard's ends want to go away !!!). Knobs are "hat type", metal, "M" on top. Let me know if you want me to send you pics or others informations.
Best regards

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:28 am

Yes, we love to see pictures of new members guitars.
1982 Fender Bullet

MarcSabatier

Postby MarcSabatier » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:14 am

Hello, this is Marc, from France

I own :

One MKII (The Ventures II Model logo). Serial # B640. Neck date FEB 1 1966, neck pocket date MAR 1 1966. German carve, 2 pieces neck, just as described on your great Mosrite Ventures model timeline Identification chart.

One MK I (The Ventures Model logo). Moseley pat. number vibrato. Serial # V5314 (quite sure, not perfectly clear even with a magnifier), no date on neck. Truss rod adjusment on headstock with the usual cover. Neck pickup, non "R" Trademark ?, bridge pickup "R" Trademark, both Mosrite of California embossed. 2 pieces neck. " "V" and "T" knobs.

If I can help in any other way ...

Best regards

Marc

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”