Neck / body stamps?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Neck / body stamps?

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:03 pm

So, I finally got the gumption and took the neck off my Ventures model. I've been curious what the year of the instrument is - it was sold to me as a '66, and it's got all the features of a later Ventures model, but there are no stamps visible on the pots, so I figured I'd find an answer on a neck date stamp.

And I found - no date stamp!?! The body has the same serial number stamped on it as the neck, and there's a signature in red ink "Shirley Rimi" or something like that. On the neck itself, there only seems to be traces of the red ink from the body.

Has anyone seen this on another Mosrite? Who's Shirley?

Neck in place

Heel of neck, showing truss rod slot

Body neck pocket with signature and SN stamp

Bottom of neckImage
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

zarfnober
Top Producer

Re: Neck / body stamps?

Postby zarfnober » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 am

Try looking in the other pickup cavity.
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:21 am

My '65 has the date stamped in the place where the signature is in yours. What about the pot codes??? Mine are covered in solder and yours maybe also.
Click on logo to visit website

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Over the weekend I had the chance to look in the bridge pickup cavity - no markings there. Also, there are no stamps on the sides of the potentiometers, and if they are stamped on the bottom, it's covered with solder.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Maybe it was refinished? Do you have a picture of the entire guitar?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:00 pm

I doubt it's been refinished. If it has, it's a very Mosrite-y refin. Anyway, here's a picture of the guitar:

coanda

Postby coanda » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:08 am

Hi MWaldorf
Just found this topic, very new to the forum, I too have a 65 Mk1 that on removal of the neck has no date stamp
Interestingly at some time the guitar has had a couple of extra digits "1"s (?) added
I have wondered if this is a replacement neck, or are the extra digit's of no significance, certainly the type face, spacing and alignment does match the middle 4 numbers from what I can ascertain serial number puts the guitar in early 65. certainly all other features place it here, Vibramute tail piece
And the "spun" Volume and Tone controls. As well as the early Half/Semi circle zero nut.
Lastly I am attaching a photo of the whole guitar, any thoughts, comments or information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards to all
Coanda

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:52 am

That is a very nice looking guitar! :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:52 am

Interesting - beautiful guitar! I'm not sure about the extra digits on the SN; is there an SN stamp on the body? Given that these were hand stamped I imagine it was possible to accidentally repeat an SN, in which case adding digits to the beginning and end would be the most aesthetically pleasing way to fix it. Nice to know that mine isn't the only one without a date stamp!

gregsguitars

Postby gregsguitars » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 am

Some do.
ImageImage
and some don't why I do not know?
Pots should have a code on the side, you have to clean them real good to see the stamps.
Greg's guitars offering a fine eclectic selection of Fretted electric,acoustic bass guitars,amps and parts worldwide.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”