Hallmark vibrato

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Re: Hallmark vibrato

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:07 am

Hello and thanks for the maintenance thread! Ok, here is the best solution to my knowledge:

Put a piece of masking tape over the strings below zero fret. This way you do not HAVE to change the strings and they stay in place through the procedure. Dismount the 4 tailplate mounting screws. flip the tailplate upside down. Remove the arm mounting screw and washers. Clean and re-mount using locktight thread locker. If you can't find any, use nail polish. Also if you want the best situation here for unbeatable stay in place security, replace the red paper washer with a thin piece of leather you have cut into the same shape. This is a great solution to this issue and should stay in place years to come. Then tighten down until it is tighter than you would like but not too tight to where it can't move. It will loosen just slightly after a little while and be just perfect. Then re-mount the plate with the 4 screws and take your tape off of the neck and re-tune. Also, do not swivel the arm around to the back when placing the guitar in the case. You do not have to do that on our guitars and that will cause it to loosen up after a while. I hope this helps!

Best, Bob Shade

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 am

Hey, Bob--

I'm glad that some of the technical guidance that I have been providing to you over the years is finally beginning to pay off.

Thanks!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks for your take on the situation Bob!

I've taken note of the masking tape bit which I hadn't considered using before! That's quite a simple but also very effective way of avoiding getting the strings to get into a tangle! Also, from now on I shall refrain from swiveling the arm around to the back when placing the guitar in the case. (it stays out of the case MOST of the time anyway!! :D )

Ha, I see Jim is trying to cash in here!... :mrgreen:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:49 am

I have the Hallmark vibrator on two of my custom builds and found the following method to be the best cure (for me) for loose arms. The problem with the leather washer is that it will eventually shrink. I've used :arrow: this method on all my Mosrites and Hallmarks and it seems to be the final cure and you can rotate the arm around putting it in the case without coming loose.
Danny Ellison

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

Just a thought here. I have always used a big rubber band at the first fret when loosening all of the strings.
Don

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:27 am

What I've used for years now is my Shubb Capo. Just clamp down the strings and no problem with tangles even if you remove the neck from the guitar.

M.G.

Postby M.G. » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks Bob and all for the ideas and suggestions!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:01 am

Hey Jim, we are so thankful for all of your expertise, however we have forgotten how to wet sand and sand contours. Can you come show us again and we will sit here for a few hours and drink beer and take notes. Pretty please? We are helpless without your guidance.

Best regards, Bob I can't wetsand Shade

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am

Darn, Bob; I would love to spend the time assisting you and your staff, but I just remembered an appointment for whatever time you would like and it is for anywhere but your facility.

Shoot; you know how much I enjoy wet sanding metal objects, too.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”