Hallmark vibrato

M.G.

Hallmark vibrato

Postby M.G. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Looking for some instruction on how to dissassemble a Hallmark vibrato. I need to replace the screw for the vibrato arm and at first glance I can't tell how to take it apart.

jtr654
Top Producer

Re: Hallmark vibrato

Postby jtr654 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Take off all the strings and it should just pull up.

M.G.

Postby M.G. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:31 pm

jtr654 wrote:Take off all the strings and it should just pull up.

I'm looking to actually take off the "tailpiece". I can't get enough leverage to really tighten down the arm with the angle.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Taking off the tailpiece is quite simple. I did it on mine on several ocasions because my trem arm's screw turned itself loose everytime after use but discovered that "loctite" was needed to solve the problem. You don't really have to remove the strings completely...just loosen them up sufficiently to be able to remove the tailpiece but please just be very careful not to damage the guitar's finish when unscrewing the four Phillips-head screws. keep a soft towel or cloth handy to cover the body. (How am I doing Bob Shade?) ;)
Hope this helps, good luck.

M.G.

Postby M.G. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. What I am actually trying to remove is part that swivels up and down-not the part that is screwed to the body. Any other suggestions for replacing the screw and keeping it tight (washers, etc?)

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Liquid lockwasher and a short screwdriver should do the trick. Unlike the old Mosrite vibratos, the Hallmark vibratos appear to use two separate shafts, so you can't just tap it through the bearings. Maybe Bob Shade will chime in with a secret technique.

Did you strip the threads on the screw, or is it just loosening itself?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm

M.G., if it's just your wish to tighten the trem arm e.g. by replacing the factory screw in it with a new one, I wouldn't recommend taking apart the trem unit itself (to be sure, talking about a Hallmark 60 Custom here).

In my case removing the complete tailpiece offered me sufficient room in order to permanently remove the little split washer in the trem arm and tightening up the screw again using a LocTite type of product. My theory is that the little split washer works counterproductive -actually helps create unwanted movement in that area.

Never took a Hallmark trem unit apart but I think my method is probably less time consuming and 'labour intensive' and probably safer too...

billywrecker

Postby billywrecker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Is it the vibrato arm that is loose?
if so on my Ranger I was able to just loosen the strings and lift the vibrato up enough to pull the spring out and tighten the nut about a half turn and put the spring back in .

M.G.

Postby M.G. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions. Problem #1 was that I stripped the head of the screw trying to tighten the arm. I did find some replacement screws at the hardware store as well as some loctite this evening. I think I will try the suggestion of eliminating the split lock washer, as that does seem to be creating a problem. BTW, this is on my sweptwing. The vibrato on my 60 custom is perfect and I've never had any loose arm problems.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:39 am

billywrecker wrote:Is it the vibrato arm that is loose?
if so on my Ranger I was able to just loosen the strings and lift the vibrato up enough to pull the spring out and tighten the nut about a half turn and put the spring back in .
This offers owners of the Ranger type of vibrato arm-design the luxury of replacing the factory nut (not a screw) with a self-locking type of nut, should the need arise for fighting a persistent loose arm syndrom :shock:

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”