Hallmark Owner's Corner!

64sunburst
Top Producer

Re: Hallmark Owner's Corner!

Postby 64sunburst » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 pm

JohnChambers wrote:
Veenture wrote:I know Bob has friendly price tags but that reissue Firedome Reissue would have to be closer to $ 89,999.-- in this day and age I reckon :D

Oh, and I really dig what you said about the Hallmark bridge pickup! Cool...;)

Yeah, I'm afraid the affordable Firedome Reissue was just wishful thinking, but it sure would be a great Hallmark "accessory". :P

Veenture, I really like the avatar, although there are some aspects of the original album cover I like even better :mrgreen: . That's my favorite Ventures album: Tomorrow's Love, Gone Gone Gone, and (of course) Slaughter on 10th Ave have been favorites for about 45 years. That lead sound has always been kind of hard to replicate (a Red Rhoades fuzz box might help?), but the 60 Custom gets me much closer right off the bat than the Gretsch Nashville, Strat, or Jazzmaster.

Best,
John

John, you got great taste....that's my favorite Ventures album and songs too!

Maui - cool guitar and cool ride!

Byron

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:58 pm

All of you that have played out with your Mosrites, or clones, tell me if this has happened to you before.
My guitar happens to be a Hallmark, but we all know of the similarity, right? Well, what I'm getting to is the fact that this is the first guitar that I have owned that gets noticed by non-guitarist. I've had some beautiful Gretsches, and several hot looking Strats and Teles, but nobody, other than other guitarist ever complimented them. But when I open the case to get to the Custom 60, I get comments from everybody. I explain what the instrument is (a copy of a Mosrite) and try to give a short history of the brand. Generally speaking, they can't believe that the style was created back in the late 50's. In fact one of the regular comments I hear is that it looks like something from the future. The second most heard is "No, I have never heard of the Ventures". Has anybody else had such an experience ?
Don

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:13 pm

That's one of the aspects of playing Mosrites and Hallmarks that I love. The unique nature of them is so appealling visually. The Tone is also "of it's own class", not Fender, not Gibson. I love'em :!: :ugeek:
Click on logo to visit website

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:45 pm

I took mine over to Guitar Center st show it to the guitar teck. Turn out that the guy that I knew was off for the day and his substitute was working. The guy was wearing a Ramones t-shirt. When I opened the case he went f***ing crazy. I was lucky to get out with the thing.
Don

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:17 pm

What Don describes so well is exactly what has happened with the two Hallmarks I have: the black-and-white Stradette and the 60 Custom fire-sparkle burst.

Folks just can't seem to believe how attractive they are. Of course, the guitarists go nuts over how they play and sound, and the high-class build quality, but everyone remarks on the beautiful finishes. One of the best descriptions is that the 60 Custom "looks like the finish on a cigarette boat," and, if you know what a cigarette boat is (think "Miami Vice"), you can see how apt that description is.

I had the Stradette at the office a couple of weeks ago and my boss said that it took the guitar "to a whole new level." A guitarist said it looked "like a Hofner with an attitude."

My favorite thing about these two guitars is that, after years of shunning electrics, I have finally found a brand that is fun to play. The only other electric I have felt comfortable with was a Rickenbacker, and I prefer the Hallmarks over that.

Too bad I found them so late in life, but so it goes! These are MUSICAL things, and really compel the player to practice and improve. The looks are just icing on the cake.

And having discovered this forum adds to my enjoyment. Seeing what Ed Elliott and Danny Ellison have built has made me want a sunburst, now, but my wife would throw me out of the house!!!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 am

I was just watching some YouTube links over on the Tele forum, and I got thinking. We need to get one of these Customs into Jeff Beck's hands. Just a thought, but he is so expressive with a Strat that I would love to hear hin break loose with those powerfull "Mosrite-clones" that Mr. Shade builds.
Anybody got Jeff's cell number ?
Don

JimPage
Top Producer

Original Fire-Sparkle Burst

Postby JimPage » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Hey, Hallmark Fanciers--

Bob Shade was showing me a few of his Mosrite and Mosrite-associated photos this afternoon, and one of the photos was of a Mosrite Ventures model in the fire-sparkle burst.

If I remember correctly, Bob said that Mosrite made two of these guitars in that finish for a NAMM show. So, I guess that is where that Hallmark 60 Custom finish came from!

It looked exactly like the finish on the Hallmark 60 Custom I have and love.

I also got to play this 60s Mosrite Celebrity again that Bob has promised to a fellow who is slow at picking it up. It has the speed frets and I really enjoyed playing that guitar. I wish I had some "unassigned funds" handy!!!

It is perfect for Beatles stuff.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:37 am

My 1970 AMC Gremlin is cooler....;)

j/k
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Aaron wrote:
>>My 1970 AMC Gremlin is cooler...

Well, of course! The Gremlins define coolness!!!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:07 pm

oipunkguy wrote:My 1970 AMC Gremlin is cooler....;)

j/k

Just don't feed it after midnight &, what ever you do, DON'T GET IT WET!
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”