What are you playing on your Mosrite or clone, today?

Haole Jim
Top Producer

What are you playing on your Mosrite or clone, today?

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:40 pm

What are you playing cuddled up with or slinging, your Mosrite or clone guitar-pal, today?

On an unseasonably cool but lovely summer night in metro Chicago, the sunburst Mk I wanted to sing "Morgen" through the old Line 6 Vetta I HD / 412 slant on "Fender 58 Bassman" model (a fave).

Perhaps being whimsical about the coming long Labour Day weekend?

And you...?

Dennisthe Menace

Re: What are you playing on your Mosrite or clone, today?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:32 pm

Haole Jim wrote:What are you playing cuddled up with or slinging, your Mosrite or clone guitar-pal, today?

On an unseasonably cool but lovely summer night in metro Chicago, the sunburst Mk I wanted to sing "Morgen" through the old Line 6 Vetta I HD / 412 slant on "Fender 58 Bassman" model (a fave).

Perhaps being whimsical about the coming long Labour Day weekend?

And you...?

Jim,
Not to HIJACK the Thread, but what the heck is 'Morgen' or the 'Lyrics' to this tune?? I know it's on the first
WDR, but i was a year old or less....I did a Google Search and came up with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! :evil:
I have it on CD, but there are are no credits listed on the CD to who wrote it, like when they use to on the old Albums... :roll:

OK, back to "What are you playing on your Mosrite or clone today?"

Bad Company, Badfinger, Beatles, Benatar (Pat), Blondie, Boston, BTO, Clapton, Eagles, Frampton, Grand Funk Railroad, Grass Roots, Joan Jett, Journey, Kinks,
Left Banke, Little Feat, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mellancamp, Morrison, (Jim), Morrison (Van), Palmer (Robert), Petty (Tom), Traffic, Turtles.....etc, etc, etc .......

How's that for Variety?? :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 pm

"What are you playing on your Mosrite or clone, today?"

Well, for the life of me I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm building a double neck, but I've just spent the past couple hours using 'Amazing Slow Downer' learning Joe Maphis' Town Hall Shuffle................and I don't even like this kind of music. :shock:
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:30 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Not to HIJACK the Thread, but what the heck is 'Morgen' or the 'Lyrics' to this tune?? I know it's on the first WDR, but i was a year old or less....I did a Google Search and came up with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! :evil: I have it on CD, but there are are no credits listed on the CD to who wrote it, like when they use to on the old Albums... :roll:
I believe "Morgen" refers to the German word meaning "tomorrow". Don't know the 'Lyrics' either and on my old Dolton BLP 2003 album cover there aren't any credits listed either...but on the record itself it says "Sherman-Mosser". (I suspect the original lyrics must be in German too...hope that helps).

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:57 pm

These days I'm playing Rockabilly (Elvis, Wanda Jackson, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash,...) lots of Country (too many to list), Tracy Chapman, 4 Non Blondes, The Grateful Dead, and other fun stuff, including lots of original material.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Veenture wrote:
Dennisthe Menace wrote:Not to HIJACK the Thread, but what the heck is 'Morgen' or the 'Lyrics' to this tune?? I know it's on the first WDR, but i was a year old or less....I did a Google Search and came up with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! :evil: I have it on CD, but there are are no credits listed on the CD to who wrote it, like when they use to on the old Albums... :roll:
I believe "Morgen" refers to the German word meaning "tomorrow". Don't know the 'Lyrics' either and on my old Dolton BLP 2003 album cover there aren't any credits listed either...but on the record itself it says "Sherman-Mosser". (I suspect the original lyrics must be in German too...hope that helps).

Thanks Paul, that's where I ended up too ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:35 pm

'Never did see music to "Morgen," and picked it off the original WDR, as Veenture speculated.

Yes, the title means, "tomorrow" in German, and 'remember in the distant past hearing a German artist sing lyrics to it (Heino?), but memory only remembers one other lyrical word, "gestern," which means "yesterday."

Maybe it was a precurser to or inspiration for the Beatles "Yesterday." After all, they did play in Germany in the early 60s...?

Tonight, 'am feeling the fingering to "Moonlight Serenade" and "The Way You Look Tonight" coming on.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:51 am

Haole Jim wrote:'Never did see music to "Morgen," and picked it off the original WDR, as Veenture speculated.
...speculated?
Haole Jim wrote:...//... one other lyrical word, "gestern," which means "yesterday."

Maybe it was a precurser to or inspiration for the Beatles "Yesterday." After all, they did play in Germany in the early 60s...?
That's an interesting thought to ponder on Jim ;)

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:22 pm

On any given day it's either "Caravan" or "Slaughter on 10th Ave" 'cause I can never get enough practice on those two tunes :geek: .

Byron

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 am

I got into Rodney Crowell about twenty years ago. He was using a guitarist named Stewart Smith. Stewart is a master of the Strat and taught me a whole new way to approach soloing. I even bought a 57RI Strat in order to duplicat the tones that Mr. Smith was using. Not long after I got my Hallmark, I discovered that I was actually getting a better sound than Stewart's Strat was producing. So now I'm working at re-learning all of the old songs that I originally played on the Strat. The Hallmark pick-ups allow me to be much more articulate than the Fender single coils or any of the Gibson P-90's that I have. I'm still experimenting with different thicknesses of picks and where I attack the strings. This guitar is so expressive it sometimes just floors me. Of course, now that I have my "Mosrite", the Ventures Christmas album is never off-limits either. Ho Ho Ho !!!
Don

Return to “Music Related”