Breaking News: Mosrite Lawsuit.........

dubtrub
Administrator

Breaking News: Mosrite Lawsuit.........

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:39 pm

The legal battle over the rights to Mosrite is starting all over again. This is posted on Loretta's Mosrite website dated 6-15-09.

http://www.mosrite.us/135112241792b837d03_1__pdf.pdf

Better buy your Japanese Mosrite while you can as they are going to get scarce like they did three years ago over this exact same thing with the lawsuits in Japan.

http://www.mosrite.us/
Danny Ellison

gplayer
Top Producer

Re: Breaking News: Mosrite Lawsuit.........

Postby gplayer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 am

Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa....I wonder where Dana and Artie fit in to this drama? :?

ETA..also, if Loretta wins this, I wonder if she'll go after Hallmark (Bob Shade) for intellectual infringement, also? This should get very interesting.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:42 am

Loretta Moseley QUOTE: Genuine Mosrite guitars have the signature of Semie Moseley on them. Therefore, one of the easiest ways to distinguish counterfeits is by looking at whether or not it has the signature. Furthermore, the only shop in Japan that sells genuine Mosrite guitars is “Basswood 65”. END QUOTE

...so then http://www.65basswood.com/ would have no more Mosrites to sell as soon as the last model bearing Semie’s signature has been sold…

Finito…no more Mosrites :( ...................Count-de-feets, here we come! :D :D :D

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 am

I don't know if she is legally pursuing this or making a statement about the authenticity of the several 'Mosrites' around.
Look closely at Basswood 65 inventory: the 'new Mosrites' have Semie Moseley signatures silkscreened on the headstock where The Ventures logo would be. This is what I believe is meant by 'authentic', but it is all a bit nebulous. Also, check out the price--ouch!
Not so sure she legally has a leg to stand on, but can certainly offer an opinion on what is genuine and what is not. I wonder about the quality of these Semie Signature models. There is nothing stated about how and what is used in making them that makes me think they are any different from what Fillmore or Kurokumo have to offer, except for a couple of Custom Shop builds that are finished in nitrocellulose laquer.

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:04 am

I would think that companies like Hallmark, Eastwood, and maybe The Wilson Brothers would be safe here. While they are building similar guitars (to different degrees) none are using the language (Mostite marks) that seem to be at the heart of this suite. None of these companies are trying to pass their products off as anything other than a tribute to a masterpiece.
It really bothers me when lawyers get this close to guitars.
Don

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:39 am

As much as it may burn to say it, We all know what are "Fakes" Don't we? :)

No, I'm not implying ones that Dana builds are fakes. I'm just saying none of the Japanese made ones are really "Mosrite". Yes, They are built to specs but they don't really have much to do with Mosrite other than the name. E. F. Elliott, Bill Gruggett and Hallmark have more to do with Mosrite than any of these Japanese companies ever did.
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 am

I couldn't get thru to the legal document from here at the office, so I went to the mosrite.us site and looked it over. Looks like she's going after Ed Roman to get the name back here in the USA. I'm not a lawyer, but this could be a tough duke-out.
Still, I don't see why Loretta's instruments are any different in quality from the other Japanese manufacturers. And they are even more expensive than the Fillmores. They really need to justify the high price with some statement about materials and quality. Are they all handmade (like Eddy and Terry) by Jesus H.?
All this makes me wonder what would have happened if Semie were still with us. I firmly believe he would have succeeded in establishing a niche market for himself as a boutique shop.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:31 am

And when you all have the chance, go back on her Website, and at the top of the page, click on 'Shopping.'..... :shock:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:44 am

Whew! I finally got thru all 14 pages and she is going for the whole kit'n'kaboodle, including damages and a trial by jury.
We shall see......

To be honest, I like the website, especially all the historic pics taken over the years. As for buying anything; next to impossible for anyone in the US.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:56 am

deleted by D.S.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”