Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Artie,

Congratulations on the arrival of the Mosrites! I'm curious, would you describe the Fillmore guitars as factory assembly line guitars or more hand-crafted? Compared to say, Fender, even at the height of production in the mid 60s Mosrite was pretty hands-on. Would you say it's similar with the Fillmores? If they are low-production, essentially custom shop style guitars, it makes sense they'd be more expensive than assembly line guitars regardless of where they're from.

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

bakeoboy
Top Producer

Postby bakeoboy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:07 am

Jayson..
I have a real busy weekend (playing music store,playing music,rehersing ),but I'll try to get some pics posted by monday,
Artie

bakeoboy
Top Producer

Postby bakeoboy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:11 am

MWaldorf wrote:Artie,

Congratulations on the arrival of the Mosrites! I'm curious, would you describe the Fillmore guitars as factory assembly line guitars or more hand-crafted? Compared to say, Fender, even at the height of production in the mid 60s Mosrite was pretty hands-on. Would you say it's similar with the Fillmores? If they are low-production, essentially custom shop style guitars, it makes sense they'd be more expensive than assembly line guitars regardless of where they're from.

Mel

They seem to be low production and are hand assembeled.the set-up is not so hot,but we fix that,here in Bako.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Modern Mosrites at Front Porch Music

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:23 pm

While I was down at the concert in honor of Bill Gruggett this past weekend I finally had a chance to stop in to Front Porch Music. This is a *must see* for anyone with any interest in Mosrites.

I had the chance to check out the new line of Mosrites in stock, seen here.

I played the 001 sidejack Mosrite assembled by Dana Moseley. It's the sunburst on the right in the picture above. This guitar features pickups that Dana wound herself. I have to say that it's one of the nicest guitars I've played. The neck is spot on classic Mosrite - thin and narrow. It's remarkably similar in feel to the '64 Mosrite that Danny has, and even more "Mosrite-y" feeling than the '66 I have. But besides the feel, the sound is dead on. The pickups Dana is winding are great. The sound is thick but defined, bright but not piercing. I know this is an expensive guitar, but I can say it looks, plays and sounds it.

Next I played a Ranger, the sunburst one on the left in the photo above. It's hard to give the Ranger a fair hearing right after playing the amazing sidejack, but it too is a solid guitar, with a nice feel. The neck is wider and the frets taller than on the sidejack; not enormously, but noticeable. It reminded me of the Hallmark 60 Custom I tried out at Deke's Guitar Geek Festival in January.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Modern Mosrites at Front Porch Music

Postby Veenture » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:23 am

I won't be visiting Front Porch Music anytime soon myself but getting this peek of what's inside is very pleasing.

Thanks for posting Mel ;)

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:46 am

I wouldn't mind having that Ventures II model :D

rynaro
Top Producer

Postby rynaro » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Is that a Redburst at the back? ... [Drool]
Tym Sweeping Wing Jr #Z0094 (murph trem & mastery bridge)/ Tym vibratone #A0080 (jag trem/pickups)>Heaps of pedals>Vox AC15HW
http://www.facebook.com/tenderbones
https://tenderbones.bandcamp.com
http://ryanlhumphreys.bandcamp.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:39 pm

rynaro wrote:Is that a Redburst at the back? ... [Drool]
No, it's just the lighting. That is the Ranger and it is the red, yellow, black burst and it is beautiful.

If any one owns a Ranger and they don't care for it, it would be my guess that it just isn't set up properly. Artie's store is cooled by a swamp cooler and it plays havoc on a guitar neck. A little truss rod adjustment and these Rangers play as good as any Mosrite. They are QUALITY instruments.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:41 pm

KRamone27 wrote:I wouldn't mind having that Ventures II model :D

Awh, Shucks Man....I'm not picky.....I'll take 'em ALL :mrgreen: ......
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:15 pm

I need to take a trip to Artie's sometime, It is only about 2,500 miles away and worth every cent to go. I'm not taking ANY major highways though, Not after I saw that semi cab on Interstate 80 that looked like it went through a paper shredder... :shock:
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”