Artie's new acquisition

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: Artie's new acquisition

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:26 am

thanks for the photo, looks cool, never seen it. the V II that I've seen photos of, and I believe it belongs to the fillmore guy, is white with a Moseley tp, this one obviously has a vibramute. If this was built in the 90's, it's the only remake from that time period with correct(at least correct looking) pickups. If Semie made this, he obviously had some parts lying around to assemble it, Andy Moseley may have even had some of these pickups. When I visited Loretta back in 97, she had at least one early V II tp and a couple of very warped V II necks. All of the V II copies I've seen from the 90's are made to look like Johnny Ramones, not like this one. Does anyone know where this came from and who owns it?

It's only a guess on my part that one or more may have had a vibramute from the factory, entirely possible, just haven't seen one. As for the one with the Moseley. maybe the owner put it on himself, mine has a solid Moseley tp on it now. I'll probably put the original back on soon.

Every Mark V I've ever seen has a short scale, the Ventures II's, both versions, do not have a short scale. That is the difference, besides the obvious differences.

Whoever has a Mark V out there, measure the scale and post it, I'll measure my V II later and post the length.

Rocco,
I was under the impression that the old ventures 2 slab guitars and the redigned version had the same scale length. can anyone else confirm is rocco is correct about this?
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21 am

oipunkguy wrote:
Every Mark V I've ever seen has a short scale, the Ventures II's, both versions, do not have a short scale. That is the difference, besides the obvious differences.

Whoever has a Mark V out there, measure the scale and post it, I'll measure my V II later and post the length.
[/i]

Rocco,
I was under the impression that the old ventures 2 slab guitars and the redigned version had the same scale length. can anyone else confirm is rocco is correct about this?

I can tell you for certain that the Slab Body Ventures II and the German Curved Body Ventures II both have the same scale length neck (from the center of the zero fret to the center of the twelfth fret is 12 inches)... This is also the same scale as the regular Ventures model (Mark I).

There are two differences between these necks, but the length isn't one of them. The head on the Slab guitar is narrower by 3/8's of an inch, and the bottom of the neck (where it meets the body) is rounded off on the corners. But both fret boards are the same length and width.

Now I can't speak for when they changed from Ventures II to The Mark V, this is where someone with a Mark V needs to step in.

rynaro
Top Producer

Postby rynaro » Thu May 28, 2009 7:25 pm

The ONLY OTHER S'Burst that I have seen on a MARK II, were on the Japanese Re-Issues, and I believe not that many were made as well.
We ALSO have a Member that joined the FORUM not to long ago, who has a "matched set" of a MARK I and II in S'burst :shock: .
The majority of Mark IIs, were either done in a Red, White or Blue. When the Mark Vs came out, The Sunburst finish was
just 'another color' added, that became available for the "Color Chart" in the Mosrite Catalog......

I know johnny had one sooo they must have made more than one unless artie's is originally johnny's????
Tym Sweeping Wing Jr #Z0094 (murph trem & mastery bridge)/ Tym vibratone #A0080 (jag trem/pickups)>Heaps of pedals>Vox AC15HW
http://www.facebook.com/tenderbones
https://tenderbones.bandcamp.com
http://ryanlhumphreys.bandcamp.com

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu May 28, 2009 8:33 pm

No, Those are two completely different Mark II models. I haven't seen many sunburst mark II models though, These may be the only two I've ever seen.
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

johnnyboy1234

Postby johnnyboy1234 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 am

Well here goes.....ten years ago I bought a Ventures II for $120.00. No decal, thin headstock, moseley tailpiece, looks like someone either sanded the german carve or just rounded off the slab. No electronics. serial # B174...neck date August 1965.....I am refurbishing it right now...but, can anyone verify if it is a slab or not. Thanks.
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1984 Gibson Les Paul
1985 Fender Telecaster
1992 Gibson Les Paul

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:41 pm

johnnyboy1234 wrote:Well here goes.....ten years ago I bought a Ventures II for $120.00. No decal, thin headstock, moseley tailpiece, looks like someone either sanded the german carve or just rounded off the slab. No electronics. serial # B174...neck date August 1965.....I am refurbishing it right now...but, can anyone verify if it is a slab or not. Thanks.

Have any pictures?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Brian wrote:
johnnyboy1234 wrote:Well here goes.....ten years ago I bought a Ventures II for $120.00. No decal, thin headstock, moseley tailpiece, looks like someone either sanded the german carve or just rounded off the slab. No electronics. serial # B174...neck date August 1965.....I am refurbishing it right now...but, can anyone verify if it is a slab or not. Thanks.

Have any pictures?

He posted some pictures of it somewhere else on here. I can't remember exactly where, though.

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Is this the guitar in question?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Yes, I do believe that is it.

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:26 am

I don't think that's an original Ventures II body. I could be wrong, if it is it's been heavily modified. Aside from the adges being rounded off and some sort of a "German Carve" the neck is set really far into the body. On a Ventures II the neck is into the boy to about the forth fret from the bottom, that neck is set in much more than that.

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the back of the guitar where the neck meets the body. Could be a Melo-Bat body, or a non Mosrite Body.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”