Dillion DMG 75?

MilkManX

Dillion DMG 75?

Postby MilkManX » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:00 am

Anyone here played a Dillion DMG 75?

They look pretty nice.

How is the neck and the frets?

I noticed it doesnt have the Zero fret though.

How is the tone?

Any opinions would be great guys!

Thanks!

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Dillion DMG 75?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Milkman, somebody here on the Forum actually bought one off of E-Bay. But for the
life of me, I can't remember who it was, it was a little while back :roll: ..........
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:41 am

I have never played one but was looking at them until I ran across the Hallmark 60 Custom. Here is a link the Harmony Central if you haven't seen it. The Dillion gets good reviews there.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... +Copy/10/1

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

MilkManX

Postby MilkManX » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:14 pm

Yeah I checked the reviews on HC but I want it from someone here who either can compare directly or go more in depth for me.

Thanks a bunch.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:57 pm

'Actually own one.

About 3 1/2 years ago, 'visiting daughter in Chicago, 'wandered into Tommy's Rock & Roll Cafe and Deli for lunch. A few hundred guiitars hanging around to delight and tempt you as you down a decent corned beef sarny and cola.

'Saw this metallic blue one and it really called to make this picker's acquaintance, big time. Looked really striking, made in Vietnam, maple neck, not the best rosewood board. Decent-ish Bigsby copy and tune-o-matic copy. No zero fret. Pups looked really, really P-90-ish.

So, 'sat down therewith and jacked into a Laney which happened to be already glowing. Wretched strings, terrible action, frets blooming out both sides of the board, it was like sliding your hand along a saw. More buzzes than a bunch of pollen-gathering bees.

But there was something there. 'Paid Tommy some money and took it home. Nice to look at but was just freaking awful to play. Those wizards at Third Coast guitars to the rescue. Big setup. Big. Expensive. And then a couple of nice knobs were added. Poof, that Dillion was thansformed into one really hot guitar. No complaints or criticisms.

And thereafter, that Dillion was such a decent guitar, it still hangs in the music room. That said, the Dillion It is NOT a Mosrite; many, many, many differences, even to the body carving. Traded a few emails with Mr. Dillion, himself; decent chap.

But it inspired the purchase of a real Mosrite a year-odd later. Ed Roman was complimentary of the Dillions and carried some in the big store (R.I.P) on Dean Martin Boulevard.

The closest approximation in this mind is an SG Special with P-90s. Moral of this story? A Dillion look-sorta-alike ain't a real Mosrite any more than a Mini Cooper is a Ferrari. But it's fun to drive and may make you want the real thing even more. Enough to save every coin you can....best of fortune.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”