New 2019 Wilson Bros guitars

Eduardo Aguilu

Re: New 2019 Wilson Bros guitars

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:55 pm

[quote="dubtrub"]Look closely at the guitar Mel is holding and the white guitar. Look familiar? Looks like Wilson Bros. is coming out with a Mosrite Ventures clone for 2019.

I'm confused! There is no doubt that Don Wilson owns the rights to THE VENTURES name (and Bob Bogle's relatives through inheritance?) but only Semie Moseley (and those who legally owned the rights) had the right to the Mosrite "classic" shape. After all, there was no "THE VENTURES model" until Semie put the logo on his Mosrite guitars! How does anyone such as HALLMARK, et al, get to reproduce Semie's shape without violating whatever copyright laws cover this situation? Does anyone here know the ins and outs of reproducing without legal authority? Is anyone here in touch with Don that can get answers to this perplexing situation?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:58 pm

Unlike Fender and Gibson, It is my understanding that the head stock shape and body shape along with just about everything Semie created were never copyrighted.
Danny Ellison

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:20 am

dubtrub wrote:Unlike Fender and Gibson, It is my understanding that the head stock shape and body shape along with just about everything Semie created were never copyrighted.

Body shapes aren't copyrighted anyway. Anyone can make a "Mosrite shape". Look at how many Strat and Les Paul shaped guitars are out there. The names and headstocks are where trademarks live, and if Semi never protected it, then... :shock:

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:52 pm

I appreciate the replies especially dubtrub's. Now I wonder if Semie's opinion was ever asked about the many copies that emerged from Danelectro, Dillion, Aria, Univox Hi-Flyer, Eastwood, etc. I would have loved to have interviewed Semie when I was living in North Hollywood a short distance from The Palomino Club where my friend musician Mayf Nutter performed many times and knew Nokie Edwards. Even though I owned Mosrite basses meeting Semie never occurred to me although I did meet THE VENTURES. Memorable.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:34 pm

"I wonder if Semie's opinion was ever asked about the many copies"

Yes he was asked during an interview for a guitar back in the 80's and he was very flattered and humbled that someone would copy his design. He said some he had examined were "very good" copies.
Danny Ellison

Johnny-Alien

Postby Johnny-Alien » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm dying! Where is Mel and the update?

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:50 am

Oh man I wonder what the price point will be on these!

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 am

Glad they went to the Mosrite body style instead of the reverse strat like body they had.
Scott

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:39 pm

These new guitars are apparently built in China, and the price point they were aiming for is $1350 or so. They guitars play and sound really nice. The neck shape is more like vintage Mosrites than Hallmarks for instance, but with moderate sized frets. I'm not sure they know when they'll have them ready for sale, but if I find out anything I'll let everyone know.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:13 am

I've seen some very nice Chinese made electric guitars, that are selling for substantially less, so if that is any indication, they are going to be nice guitars.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”