Roller bridge question

Daggerwolf138

Roller bridge question

Postby Daggerwolf138 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:40 pm

I have a Hallmark 65c and I noticed while changing the strings yesterday the low E roller is rusted and won’t move. I’m uses this is from sweat while palm muting. I tried spraying it with WD 40 and using pliers to break it free. Didn’t work. I read somewhere on here about taking a string and using that to break it free. Any other suggestions?

LoveyX
Top Producer

Re: Roller bridge question

Postby LoveyX » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 am

Have you tried Fluid Film? It is non-toxic and may be able to help free up that roller.

Daggerwolf138

Postby Daggerwolf138 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:48 pm

I’ll see if I can find some around here

The AmpFibian

Postby The AmpFibian » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 pm

I've had the rollers gum up on my Combo and not roll..A little penetrating fluid and with a wound string try to drag the string with pressure on the roller back and forth until it starts to move. Once it does keep at it to make sure it 's rolling normally. I've always had good luck doing this.Check the others too while you're at it.

I check them every time I change the strings.

Hope this helps.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm

LoveyX wrote:Have you tried Fluid Film? It is non-toxic and may be able to help free up that roller.

Fluid Film's a wonderful product for preventing rust, I use it on my cars but it doesn't penetrate very well in a short time period even though it's advertised for that purpose. However, if you spray it inside car doors it will crawl up your doors as water drains out of them.

Soaking the bridge in Liquid Wrench for a few hours should be a quicker way to work. It's not as viscous as Fluid Film which is more like pancake batter.

(Also, don't breathe Fluid Film over an extended period; really, just don't. It'll mess with your lungs and then mess with your brain. I know from experience.)

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Daggerwolf138

Postby Daggerwolf138 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to pick up some Liquid Wrench this weekend. I’ve tried just about everything else with no luck. It’s only the low E roller and it doesn’t effect playability or tuning. It’s just one of those things that bothers me because I know it’s`not working like it’s supposed to.
Any tricks to keep it from happening again once I get it free? I wipe the guitar down every time I’m done playing.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”