Ventures Replicas

Mustang Martigan

Ventures Replicas

Postby Mustang Martigan » Tue May 08, 2018 7:12 pm

I need a new guitar and I'm leaning towards a Mosrite Ventures replica. I can't afford an original or the $3k reissue, but have found a couple in my price range.. the Danelectro '65 and Wilson Ventures VM 110.

As cool as this model looks (especially in blue..drooollll), I'm always hesitant buying a guitar without playing it. I havent been able to find any locally and am curious to hear what you guys think of these two. Is the feel comparable to any other guitar I might be familiar with?

Thanks.

Gonkulator

Re: Ventures Replicas

Postby Gonkulator » Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 am

You'd honestly be better getting a Hallmark. They are great guitars and Bob Shade is a great dude.

Tronman

Postby Tronman » Wed May 09, 2018 5:01 am

I second the Hallmark...specifically the 65 Custom. It's $200 more than the Danelectro, but 1000 times more authentic sounding and it's built as solid as any $3K clone. Plus, the neck is a little wider, so it's easier to play chords. It also looks way better than either the Wilson or the Danelectro.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Guitar
Martin DM Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Bass

Mustang Martigan

Postby Mustang Martigan » Fri May 11, 2018 2:48 am

I was actually checking out that Hallmark last night. It definitely looks awesome.

Any opinions on the Dillion copies?

I stumbled across this page called Tym Guitars, https://tymguitars.com.au/ that has a ton of blog entries on seemingly every Mosrite replica since the '60s. I never would've guessed there were so many.

Tronman

Postby Tronman » Fri May 11, 2018 4:12 am

I've never owned an original Mosrite, but I have owned a couple of Fillmores and a Dana Moseley Original 65...all great guitars, especially the Dana-Mo, since she hand-wound the pickups on her father's guitars and she hand-wound the pickups on my Dana-Mo. My understanding is the new Dana-Mo's are built better than the originals and they sound exactly the same. Still, I prefer my Hallmark 65 Custom over the others for the playability factor. I did make one change to it though...I installed a pair of Dana-Mo hand-wound pickups. Not sure if it sounds any better though, because I can't A/B the pickups. I also own a Hallmark 65 Custom Bass, which, although a bit neck-heavy (like a Gibson SG-style bass), is built like a tank and sounds awesome. I'm not familiar with any other Mosrite clones, but for the price of a Hallmark, I'm guessing the other clones can't come close.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Guitar
Martin DM Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Bass

Mustang Martigan

Postby Mustang Martigan » Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 am

Tronman wrote:I've never owned an original Mosrite, but I have owned a couple of Fillmores and a Dana Moseley Original 65...all great guitars, especially the Dana-Mo, since she hand-wound the pickups on her father's guitars and she hand-wound the pickups on my Dana-Mo. My understanding is the new Dana-Mo's are built better than the originals and they sound exactly the same. Still, I prefer my Hallmark 65 Custom over the others for the playability factor. I did make one change to it though...I installed a pair of Dana-Mo hand-wound pickups. Not sure if it sounds any better though, because I can't A/B the pickups. I also own a Hallmark 65 Custom Bass, which, although a bit neck-heavy (like a Gibson SG-style bass), is built like a tank and sounds awesome. I'm not familiar with any other Mosrite clones, but for the price of a Hallmark, I'm guessing the other clones can't come close.

I was just checking out the Hallmark site again and the Custom 59, 60 and 65 all look practically identical, except for the price; the 59 is $500 more. It also looks like there's some kind of shading behind the vibrato on the 59.

I need to email Hallmark to get additional specs. Unless I somehow overlooked it, there no mention on nut width, radius, weight, etc. I'm also curious if the 59 is made of Alder, like the 60 and 65.

Those P90 style pups are smaller than a humbucker, ya? I play mostly heavy blues/rock and I'm not sure if those stock pups would be the best choice.

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 am

The 59 modeled after the pre-Ventures guitars. That shading behind the vibrato is the a mistake plate, which appeared on quite a few early Mosrite's.

The 60 has a set neck and body binding while the 65 has a bolt on neck with no body binding, otherwise the two guitars are identical.

The pickups are hot, so it may suit your needs but you should be able to drop HB's in there with no problem.

I was just checking out the Hallmark site again and the Custom 59, 60 and 65 all look practically identical, except for the price; the 59 is $500 more. It also looks like there's some kind of shading behind the vibrato on the 59.

I need to email Hallmark to get additional specs. Unless I somehow overlooked it, there no mention on nut width, radius, weight, etc. I'm also curious if the 59 is made of Alder, like the 60 and 65.

Those P90 style pups are smaller than a humbucker, ya? I play mostly heavy blues/rock and I'm not sure if those stock pups would be the best choice.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun May 13, 2018 7:02 am

Similarly, Mosrite did make Humbuckers in the 70s but they're not widely available. Maybe Bob Shade could provide a new set for you with coil tapping if you ask. Ed Elliott can make a set too, I have a set of of Ed's Mark V pickups which work right in my Ventures II.

Also, you didn't mention it earlier but I'd probably avoid the Eastwood Hi Flyers which are more copies of copies of Mosrite guitars; they have much chunkier necks and the vibrato tailpiece isn't correct (interestingly, the tailpiece accounts for some of a Ventures guitar's tone.) I can't tell you how Eastwood guitars compare tonally because I haven't played a current one but the now discontinued $400 Hi Flyer I played in March 2009 didn't sound right to me.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Mustang Martigan

Postby Mustang Martigan » Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Gonkulator wrote:The 60 has a set neck and body binding while the 65 has a bolt on neck with no body binding, otherwise the two guitars are identical.

On the Hallmark site it say that customers were requesting a bolt on neck, hence the '65. What are the advantages of a bolt on?

Also, anyone know what type/size of frets these guitars have?

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 am

The bolt on gives it a bit snappier tone. The fret size is I would say are a bit larger than the vintage Fender style but not anywhere near medium jumbo size. A nice in the middle.

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Gonkulator wrote:The 60 has a set neck and body binding while the 65 has a bolt on neck with no body binding, otherwise the two guitars are identical.

On the Hallmark site it say that customers were requesting a bolt on neck, hence the '65. What are the advantages of a bolt on?

Also, anyone know what type/size of frets these guitars have?

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”