Ventures Replicas

Mustang Martigan

Re: Ventures Replicas

Postby Mustang Martigan » Thu May 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Gonkulator wrote:The bolt on gives it a bit snappier tone. The fret size is I would say are a bit larger than the vintage Fender style but not anywhere near medium jumbo size. A nice in the middle.

Snappier as in brighter (added treble)? I still can't decide which I want...I'm leaning towards the 60C.

I found out that the fret wire is "medium crowned," and answering an earlier question of mine, the radius is 13".

I've gotten mixed answers on the size of the pup routes. First that the route will fit a humbucker, and second that they've never had an issue outfitting HB's in the route, but it depends on the dimensions of the HB being installed. I thought that HBs are one standard size; I'm waiting on an response with the route dimentions. To those of you who have a 60C or 65C, does the P90 look like it's the size of a HB?

Thanks

Tronman

Postby Tronman » Fri May 18, 2018 4:02 am

Neither guitar has P90's. Hallmark pickups are fashioned after the original Mosrite pickups, although I think the windings are different.

The 65 Custom is closer to The Ventures' Mosrite sound. It's unfortunate that there aren't many demos on Youtube for comparison.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Guitar
Martin DM Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Bass

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Sat May 19, 2018 11:57 am

I have Strats with vintage style frets, a Hallmark 60 Custom, and have played vintage Mosrites. The Strat frets feel slightly larger than the shaped Hallmark. The Hallmark frets feel slightly larger than the Mosrite, which has a narrower neck. I found that I adapted to it quickly. And, as mentioned, Mosrites and Hallmarks do not have P90s. They sound different, because they are different.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:48 am

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Gonkulator wrote:The bolt on gives it a bit snappier tone. The fret size is I would say are a bit larger than the vintage Fender style but not anywhere near medium jumbo size. A nice in the middle.

Snappier as in brighter (added treble)? I still can't decide which I want...I'm leaning towards the 60C.

I found out that the fret wire is "medium crowned," and answering an earlier question of mine, the radius is 13".

I've gotten mixed answers on the size of the pup routes. First that the route will fit a humbucker, and second that they've never had an issue outfitting HB's in the route, but it depends on the dimensions of the HB being installed. I thought that HBs are one standard size; I'm waiting on an response with the route dimentions. To those of you who have a 60C or 65C, does the P90 look like it's the size of a HB?

Thanks

A humbucker will easily fit in the Hallmark pickup route, but you'll need to "spread it's legs" a little bit.

As for the P90 comparison....they don't compare. Not that one is better or worse, but they're very different. A Mosrite/Hallmark type pickup made correctly is nearly twice as "hot" as a typical P90, and they are not the same size nor do they install the same way. Not easily interchangeable.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”