Japanese 90’s Mosrite pickup hum and other problems

mösrite

Japanese 90’s Mosrite pickup hum and other problems

Postby mösrite » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 am

Hello,

This is my first post here so apologies if I sound like complete amateur. On the other hand, I AM a complete amateur. :-)

I have a black Super Custom ’65 bought second hand from Japan in 2000. The headstock says ”The Ventures” and ”Mosrite of California”. The tremolo is a Vibramute, also with ”Mosrite of California” on it. The serial number on the last fret is 2031. It’s a lovely guitar and the neck is super fast.

Anyway, there’s quite a bit of hum/buzzing going on and I felt it’s time to do something about it. The guitar is currently in pieces and I’m giving it a thorough clean up. There’s so much grease and dirt on the frets that you won’t believe it!

When taking the guitar apart I noticed a ground cable going from the pots to the tremolo. It isn’t attached or soldered to the metal parts of the tremolo but just pressed against it when in place. Could this be improved somehow? Or where should I start looking for the hum? I thought about putting aluminum foil all around the electronics but perhaps that is a really bad idea?

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated!

Also, who made this guitar? Kurokumo?

panther
Top Producer

Re: Japanese 90’s Mosrite pickup hum and other problems

Postby panther » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:44 am

Welcome to the forum.
I use a thin copper sheet with peel off back, in the cavities.
The ground wire under the tremolo should be OK, make sure the insulation is not protruding out of the hole under the tremolo. The exposed copper ends shouldn't be too flat, when you tighten down the tremolo you want it to capture the copper up against the tremolo. It should not move.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”