Fillmore Gone?

Johnny-Alien

Fillmore Gone?

Postby Johnny-Alien » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 am

So I see that Dana Moseley (who previously was working with Fillmore) is now working with a new Japanese company.

Previously, as I understood it, Fillmore was fighting to get the Japanese rights to Mosrite and keep KuroKomo from making their Mosrite reissues however they lost the lawsuit and neither company had any rights to the name in Japan. Fillmore was appealing that decision. I "thought" that Fillmore had the USA rights to the name and were marking the guitars that Dana assembled and added pickups to as the USA line. But I also know that Loretta had been making Mosrite guitars in the USA. So I am unsure who has the USA rights at this time.

Anyway Dana on Facebook mentioned that Fillmore lost the last lawsuits and are now bankrupt. It sounded like the guy she is working with got the rights to Mosrite and is hand building them in Japan. No CNC work at all. She will continue making pickups but I don't know if she will be assembling them. Front Porch Music has said on Facebook they will be carrying this line.

Is Fillmore completely gone? Does this new company actually have the full rights? Will that stop KuroKomo from making their reissues? What about the company that Loretta has?

I assume being complete hand made these will be priced WAY above what I could afford but they look fantastic. I know these forums are dead most of the time but thought someone that knows something might read this.

Johnny-Alien

Re: Fillmore Gone?

Postby Johnny-Alien » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:57 pm

http://www.semiemoseley.us/products.html

It's interesting that the headstock has Semie's signature which was what Loretta was using on her line. I wonder if that's combined somehow? Maybe this information is already on this site and I missed it. If so I apologize.

wattage

Postby wattage » Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 am

Huh no wonder I can't find any info out from Fillmore LOL

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu May 17, 2018 4:58 pm

The website link is to Loretta's Mosrite. The gentleman making the guitars worked as a builder in the final days before Semie's passing.
Did Loretts obtain all the rights? I don't know.
If this is the company from before the demise of Fillmore, the guitars are being made in Japan, and I don't know how Dana is involved. Anyone know?

amoviebuff

Postby amoviebuff » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm one of the many who continue wondering if Dana and Loretta are still--if they ever really were--making guitars in the tradition of Semie. Much of what I've read seems to be urban legend. Dana was reliably reported as winding pick-ups, first for Fillmore/Ed Roman, then on her own--possibly building entire guitars. Loretta, presumably with some assistance, was supposedly assembling Mosrites from "new old stock" (I actually spoke with her by phone 10 or 15 years ago, having gotten her phone number from one of Semie's associates. She agreed to send me, a serious buyer, some basic info, i.e., availability and pricing, etc. When nothing came, I called her again a few weeks later, and she repeated that she would send info. I never heard from her again, which did not inspire confidence in me regarding her business practice.) I have never dealt with Dana, and don't even know if she is in business anymore. Is anyone formerly tied to Semie upholding his legacy? Is anyone building legitimate Mosrite guitars?
Don
2002 Fender DG-11
1993 Fender Strat Plus
1972 Mosrite Mark I
1968 Mosrite Ventures
1968 Vox Folk Twelve Electric

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:07 pm

The only one I can think of is Ed Elliot, a member here and ex-Mosrite employee, who builds customs a la the Mosrite tradition. Has some of the original machinery, and I have purchased pickups, in addition to having him rework some original ones for me. Does top shelf work, just is slow in communicating sometimes.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”