Eastwood's cloning the Gospel Mark "IV"

101Volts
Master Contributor

Eastwood's cloning the Gospel Mark "IV"

Postby 101Volts » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 pm

They're cloning the "Mark IV" for the Nirvana association. The new Eastwood "Mark IV" (which we here all know is a Mark V in shape) seems to resemble your usual Eastwood but with a zero fret; it has the Jaguar style vibrato and they'll offer it in righty or lefty; they'll be $600 each. They may offer more than just sunburst models eventually.

Righty:

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections ... mark-iv-kc

Lefty:

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections ... k-iv-kc-lh

Personally, I think it's a pretty decent looking clone (from a distance at least) for what it is; it seems like they just traced an actual MK V. I don't expect the neck or pickups to be the same as an original, no telling yet about the more subtle details.

Somewhat off-topic; where did the "Mark IV" name even come from? I realize Semie may have called the few Gospel models "Mark IVs" in the letters provided with each guitar at the time instead of "Mark V" because it was during the short period where he lost the Mosrite name; maybe there were legal issues but otherwise, I have no idea why.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

MozRite

Re: Eastwood's cloning the Gospel Mark "IV"

Postby MozRite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:16 am

I would like it, well, I do like it, but I would buy one if 1) I didn't have a Mosrite Mark V already and if the trem was right. I love the Jag/Jazzmaster type of trem on Jags and Jazzmasters but on this it should have a Mosrite like trem. Other than that it looks great. Wonder how it sounds.
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:17 am

I played one of their $400 Hi Flyers in March 2009 (these models seem to be discontinued now,) before they brought out the more expensive Mosrite inspired guitars and basses (the ones for $549, $1,000 and $1,100) so my experience then may not reflect how they are now. I wasn't impressed enough to buy one of the $400 models then; it had a chunkier neck and didn't give the Mosrite tone that I wanted to imitate the B-52s' sound with. The body felt OK, though. I haven't played any of their other Mosrite inspired models.

- Austin

StevieSTL
Valued Member

Postby StevieSTL » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 am

MozRite wrote:It should have a Mosrite like trem

--Amen.
The gangster looks so frightening, with his luger in his hand
When he gets home to his children, he's a family man
But when it comes to the nitty-gritty, he can shove in his knife
Yes he really looks quite religious, he's been an outlaw all his life

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:25 am

StevieSTL wrote:
MozRite wrote:It should have a Mosrite like trem

--Amen.

That would be nice. On a related subject, doesn't the location of where the strings are anchored effect tone a bit? (e.g. a Telecaster's through-body construction vs. a Mosrite, a Bigsby, a Jaguar trem or a Les Paul with a Tune-o-Matic.) If it does, the Jaguar style trem's the second best option.

BTW, these Mark "IVs" are commercially available now. I saw other pics from eBay and it's not going to be a faithful copy, it's simply a cheaper option that's marketed to Nirvana fans (not like Kurt Cobain played B1697 for long; I only saw pictures of him playing it in 1990.)

- Austin

MozRite

Postby MozRite » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 pm

Hey Austin,

I spoke to an Eastwood representative, actually on their webpage I texed back and forth. I asked by they didn't do the correct bridge rather than the JM style bridge and he said because they felt it was an upgrade over the Mosrite style bridge.

I didn't want to argue the point that the Mosrite style bridge not only looks better I think the Mosrite bridge is better but that's just an opinion and not necessarily something that can be factual. I just think if they had done the Mosrite like bridge instead it would be something worth buying although I already have a vintage 1966 model but you know what I mean.

I think you are right the string position effects tone too. I think that's 100% correct.
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1962 Kay Swingmaster
1999 Danelectro Mod 6

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:33 am

MozRite wrote:Hey Austin,

I spoke to an Eastwood representative, actually on their webpage I texed back and forth. I asked by they didn't do the correct bridge rather than the JM style bridge and he said because they felt it was an upgrade over the Mosrite style bridge.

I didn't want to argue the point that the Mosrite style bridge not only looks better I think the Mosrite bridge is better but that's just an opinion and not necessarily something that can be factual. I just think if they had done the Mosrite like bridge instead it would be something worth buying although I already have a vintage 1966 model but you know what I mean.

I think you are right the string position effects tone too. I think that's 100% correct.

Maybe they did it for easing production costs. No idea though.

I wonder how tone and sustain varies between the two vibrato units if it varies at all; I suppose it's only a subtle difference.

- Austin

MozRite

Postby MozRite » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Austin, I think you are right about easing production cost. When businesses make products the bottom line is their biggest concern.

Not sure about sustain but I have a Jazzmaster American made and the Mosrite Mark V and I can say the Jazzmaster style trem are great but the Mosrite trem produces a bell like sound that I have only heard with the Mosrite trem. Jazzmaster doesn't have that bell like tone. Like the church bell ring to it. My friend who tried my guitar and was the first Mosrite he ever played and he also described the tone of the trem as bell like too.

By the way, back in the '90s there was a band called Jelly Fish. Kind of retro psychadelic and the guitarist was known to be a Jazzmaster guy. So in an interview in Fender Frontline he described the Jazzmaster having that boingy sound. That's subjective what boingy means but if we go by what he says and we go by what I say about the Mosrite trem then it would be safe to say the Mosrites sound bell like and the Jazzmasters sound boingy.
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1962 Kay Swingmaster
1999 Danelectro Mod 6

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:57 am

So I snagged one of these back when they were doing their black friday sale, so I got it for much cheaper than the current sales price.

It's....eh? Pickups don't sound too bad, they have a roller TOM style bridge. Control knobs and tuners are nice. The body is a bit smaller than an actual Mk V (lined it up with my MkV Bass) and it's rather light. The neck is OK and it does have a zero fret with a nut as a string guide. It'll be a good modding platform. I'll have to post some pictures of it soon.

You hit the nail on the head. This is marketed towards Nirvana fans at a cheap price point so they can get their Kurdtz on.

Now I can't wait to see Hallmark's version of the Gospel Mk IV coming out this year!

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 am

MozRite wrote:Austin, I think you are right about easing production cost. When businesses make products the bottom line is their biggest concern.

Not sure about sustain but I have a Jazzmaster American made and the Mosrite Mark V and I can say the Jazzmaster style trem are great but the Mosrite trem produces a bell like sound that I have only heard with the Mosrite trem. Jazzmaster doesn't have that bell like tone. Like the church bell ring to it. My friend who tried my guitar and was the first Mosrite he ever played and he also described the tone of the trem as bell like too.

By the way, back in the '90s there was a band called Jelly Fish. Kind of retro psychadelic and the guitarist was known to be a Jazzmaster guy. So in an interview in Fender Frontline he described the Jazzmaster having that boingy sound. That's subjective what boingy means but if we go by what he says and we go by what I say about the Mosrite trem then it would be safe to say the Mosrites sound bell like and the Jazzmasters sound boingy.

Considering the price point and that they already had these Jazzmaster style vibratos in stock, I do suppose it's the case.

The Moseley vibrato does have a different tone? Interesting, I didn't consciously notice it. Off-topic but I've been considering building a Mosrite 350 copy and this rare example with a Moseley vibrato is inspiring:

I'd have to compare the vibrato units for tone and sustain, it's been years since I last picked up a Jaguar.

Gonkulator wrote:So I snagged one of these back when they were doing their black friday sale, so I got it for much cheaper than the current sales price.

It's....eh? Pickups don't sound too bad, they have a roller TOM style bridge. Control knobs and tuners are nice. The body is a bit smaller than an actual Mk V (lined it up with my MkV Bass) and it's rather light. The neck is OK and it does have a zero fret with a nut as a string guide. It'll be a good modding platform. I'll have to post some pictures of it soon.

You hit the nail on the head. This is marketed towards Nirvana fans at a cheap price point so they can get their Kurdtz on.

Now I can't wait to see Hallmark's version of the Gospel Mk IV coming out this year!

I do suppose these are fair enough on the price point, especially if you're like me and you want a B-52s style guitar that's actually made out of basswood. The scale length and wood are right on these (comparatively to vintage Msorites) so the only things missing are the right electronics, pickups, bridge and vibrato. Still, you might as well look for a MK V or wait for the Hallmark at that rate.

- Austin

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”