Japanese Mosrite Wood Choices Affecting Tone

MozRite

Japanese Mosrite Wood Choices Affecting Tone

Postby MozRite » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:30 am

I read somewhere that most the Japanese Mosrites over the years have been made of basswood, which is a common wood for Japanese guitars. Many of the Strats were made of basswood from Japan but I think recently they been using alder wood. I think maybe some of the higher end Japanese Mosrites might have been alder but most are basswood.

If that is the case, even with the right body shape, hardware, and pickups (electronics too) doesn't that prevent the Japanese Mosrites from sounding like Mosrites are supposed to be because alder and basswood have different tonal properties. Can someone confirm this.

Thanks
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

panther
Top Producer

Re: Japanese Mosrite Wood Choices Affecting Tone

Postby panther » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 am

I personally would love to hear the definitive answer to, "do different body woods, have a minor, or major effect on an electric guitar, like it does in an acoustic one.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:10 pm

MozRite wrote:I read somewhere that most the Japanese Mosrites over the years have been made of basswood, which is a common wood for Japanese guitars. Many of the Strats were made of basswood from Japan but I think recently they been using alder wood. I think maybe some of the higher end Japanese Mosrites might have been alder but most are basswood.

If that is the case, even with the right body shape, hardware, and pickups (electronics too) doesn't that prevent the Japanese Mosrites from sounding like Mosrites are supposed to be because alder and basswood have different tonal properties. Can someone confirm this.

Thanks

I'm interested in this topic because I just bought a KuroKumo 1990s Mosrite The Ventures model bass. I bought it from Guitar Center in Dublin, CA and accept that it's a KuroKumo because of its age and I've done a lot of checking of the various Japanese Mosrites and real Mosrites, all of the little details, and mine is about as "high-end" as they come, I think. I read that KuroKumos don't have serial numbers but mine does. I read that KuroKumos have smooth p/u covers but mine says Mosrite (without the of California and the ®). The headstock features M mosrite of California and The Ventures model small logo. The back peanut-shaped plate says M mosrite. It weighs a surprisingly light 8-1/2 pounds and it's spotless.

Can you tell from the above whether my bass is made from basswood or alder? What about the fingerboard?

I posted 2 photos at Flickr, the full bass and the headstock:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129742536 ... ed-public/

MozRite

Postby MozRite » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:32 am

Eduardo, your bass is beautiful.

I was at Guitar Center in Pasadena (CA) a couple of years ago and they had a Mosrite. Even though I am no expert I think it's safe to say it was a Japanese model and not a vintage model due to it's being super clean and just seeming to be a more recent made guitar. This is the only 2nd of 2 Mosrites I have seen at Guitar Center. The first was 20 years ago at GC in West Covina (CA) and that was a vintage model yet I was not interested in them in those days and only played it for a quick minute before putting it down.

The more recent one I saw I think was going for $1,200. Depending on the actual maker and model of this Japanese it might have been a reasonable price. I wish I had paid more attention to the make on it although there was no designation as to who made it other than saying Mosrite of California. So Filmore, Excellent KuroKumo , or another Japanese maker? I doubt a '70s Avenger though, way too clean and new feeling.

Eduardo, would you mind disclosing how much you paid for it?
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:43 pm

1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:26 pm

MozRite wrote:Eduardo, your bass is beautiful.

I was at Guitar Center in Pasadena (CA) a couple of years ago and they had a Mosrite. Even though I am no expert I think it's safe to say it was a Japanese model and not a vintage model due to it's being super clean and just seeming to be a more recent made guitar. This is the only 2nd of 2 Mosrites I have seen at Guitar Center. The first was 20 years ago at GC in West Covina (CA) and that was a vintage model yet I was not interested in them in those days and only played it for a quick minute before putting it down.

The more recent one I saw I think was going for $1,200. Depending on the actual maker and model of this Japanese it might have been a reasonable price. I wish I had paid more attention to the make on it although there was no designation as to who made it other than saying Mosrite of California. So Filmore, Excellent KuroKumo , or another Japanese maker? I doubt a '70s Avenger though, way too clean and new feeling.

Eduardo, would you mind disclosing how much you paid for it?

Thanks, Moz. I don't mind disclosing how much I paid for it: $1099.99. But, unfortunately, there were added costs such as New York State Sales Tax 'cause Guitar Center has branches here: $99.95. Shipping & Handling from Dublin, CA to NYC: $21.73 which surprised me 'cause the box's label said it weighed 31 pounds! Total: $1,221.27. I lucked out 'cause, normally, I was going to pick it up at the 14th St. Store but after I was told it had arrived I experienced buyer's remorse and I was going to let time pass and after 2 weeks it would be returned to Dublin and I would be out only the shipping charges. My wife supported me but prodded me to get it and get my rocks off and then sell it on ebay for a profit 'cause I'm sure I can get $1,500 for it.

I called the store and asked them to deliver it to my apartment building. When I asked how much they would charge me for delivery the rep said it was free! When it got here and I saw the 31 pound weight I was so relieved 'cause there is no way that I could have handled a big, heavy box. Actually, it was the dinosaur carrying case made of wood with cushioned corners and it weighed 15 pounds! Since it's not selling on ebay I'm going to discard it and keep the bass in the gig bag I'm waiting for.

All the bass needs is a good rubdown with a nice soft cloth that will make it shine so that it looks almost new, as if it was never played. But you can tell it's from 1990 due to the pick guard not being as white, toned, as when it was new 27 years ago.

pollywaffle

Postby pollywaffle » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 pm

People often overstate the importance of tone wood for electric guitars. Tone wood choice is FAR more important in acoustic instruments. Wood does not conduct electricity so does not influence the sound of electric guitars BUT I personally think it has some influence as part of a larger ecosystem, but not very much.

guitarman50

Postby guitarman50 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 pm

It is my understanding that only the set neck originals had alder bodies and the bolt on neck Ventures model originals went to basswood because it was easier to carve than alder for mass production. it was in the late 60's when I had a 6 and a 12 string Ventures model and they were lighter weight than my Fenders or Gibsons, which leads me to believe they were made of basswood. Just my thoughts, yours will probably vary. Lol

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”