Excellent Mosrites Are They Really Heavy?

MozRite

Excellent Mosrites Are They Really Heavy?

Postby MozRite » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:49 am

This one on the Bay is slightly over 9.5 pounds once you convert the Grams to Pounds and Ounces. This is as heavy as my Morales Mosrite made from Mahogany. I like the Morales but it's heavy for a Mosrite-Like guitar. I expect that because it's made of mahogany but I thought the Japanese made Mosrite copies post Zen-On were made of Alder or even Basswood which are not particular heavy like mahogany. I don't know the weights of other Excellents but this is heavy. Would be a nice guitar to have if not so heavy. I wouldn't pay for another heavy Mosrite copy. If it was lighter weight like Mosrites are supposed to be then yes but this is too heavy.

I have been searching out Excellents on the internet but this is the only one where I saw someone mention the weight of it. Are Excellents made of mahogany? I can't imagine how it could be so heavy if it was alder or basswood. I have an '80s Squier Japan Strat made of basswood and it's not heavy. Not light like ash but not heavy like mahogany. It's the weight it should be for a Strat I believe.

Do you guys know if Excellents are normally this heavy and if they are made of a heavy wood like mahogany or agathis? This seems to ruin the guitar. I have a DeArmond M-75T made of agathis and it's heavy but the M-75T is Les Paul like or like a Guild Bluesbird which I think is based on a Les Paul, so I am not surprised the M-75T is heavy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Mosri ... SwWLFZpPbF
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

panther
Top Producer

Re: Excellent Mosrites Are They Really Heavy?

Postby panther » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 am

My handmade Mosrite is the heaviest electric I own.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:04 am

I've never weighed it, but my Hallmark 60C feels generally about as heavy as one of my Les Pauls. It's big and heavy. That would put it in my guesstimation around 9-10 pounds.

AZ Mike

Postby AZ Mike » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:48 pm

To satisfy your curiosity (as I have with some of my guitars for free) you could have it weighed at your local UPS or FEDEX office. Then you'd know for sure.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”