Mosrite Ventures Bass 1990 re-issue REAL?

nuthinspecial

Mosrite Ventures Bass 1990 re-issue REAL?

Postby nuthinspecial » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:56 am

I saw a very very clean looking sunburst Ventures model single pickup sunburst bass yesterday at my local guitar shop. I was told it was a 1990 re-issue. It had a sunburst body and neck with Mosrite 'The Ventures' logo on the headstock and cloverleaf tuning pegs. The pickguard hung over the 'shelf' of the German Curve, as I've seen on pre-1966 versions and it had chrome, plain (non-M) knobs. It had the peanut shaped neck plate, but it was stamped with the Mosrite name. The craftsmanship was impressive, though the sound wasn't too great. Playability was fine, though it could use a truss rod adjustment. I liked it, but wasn't sure about who might have actually made it. It looked an awful lot like the single pickup sunburst bass I've seen on the Ed Roman site, but his did not have the Ventures logo, nor was the logo neck plate apparent in the pic.

Anybody got any clue at all about what this thing might be?

StevieSTL
Valued Member

Re: Mosrite Ventures Bass 1990 re-issue REAL?

Postby StevieSTL » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 am

-- You probably would have mentioned this if it was there, but, is it signed by Semie? If not, it is probably not 'real', in the sense that it was not made by the man. Without seeing I would guess Ed Roman, maybe Dana, or MIJ... Pics?
The gangster looks so frightening, with his luger in his hand
When he gets home to his children, he's a family man
But when it comes to the nitty-gritty, he can shove in his knife
Yes he really looks quite religious, he's been an outlaw all his life

nuthinspecial

Postby nuthinspecial » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:09 am

http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~guitar-shop ... c65s2.html

The bass is identicle to this one including the stamped Mosrite logo on the neck plate save for the fact that it has one pickup rather than two. I think it's obvious that it's a Japanese instrument. My question is. . .what is it worth, what is a fair price for the piece?

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:30 am

If it is from the same source as the one in the website, then it may be a Bass '65 Custom, which points to Kurokumo.
There's currently one on ebay going for $1880, but it is the 2PU model.
How much green stuff are they asking for the one you saw if you don't mind my asking?

nuthinspecial

Postby nuthinspecial » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:50 am

Around there I think. Is that about right for a single pickup version, or what ought it to be?

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”