Getting a mosrite 5 yrs after ordering

leftyjay

Getting a mosrite 5 yrs after ordering

Postby leftyjay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:58 pm

This is a cool story.
I ordered a lefty candy apple red mosrite from front porch music back in 2012. Dana was to assemble it and wind the pickup's. The wait was to be 3_4 months. The months went by and still no word about the guitar. I knew Japan was dealing with the earthquake disaster and everything was behind schedule. So I waited...and waited. After a year, I finally gave up and cancelled the order.

A few months went by, and I found a black Fillmore lefty and that curbed the gas. A few months passed and I got a call that the red mosrite was finished, but the price was increased. I told them I wasn't interested and that was the end....I thought.

Fast forward to last week when I saw the guitar on eBay. I said, this has got to be the one I ordered. Sent the seller a message, and sure enough it was the same guitar. After some emails and talking on the phone, we settled on a price and bought the guitar, at a substantial reduced price. The seller was 70 yrs old and couldn't play the thin neck. It still has the plastic on the pick guard and has never been outside the home.

I guess it was karma that I get this guitar I ordered over 5 years ago. I will post pics and maybe a video when I get a chance
Lefty Mosrite Original USA 65 Mark 1 Sunburst 2010
Lefty Mosrite Original USA 65 Mark 1 CAR 2013
Lefty Fillmore of Classics 65 Mark 1 Black 2006
Lefty Hallmark Custom 60 Pearl White 2012

leftyjay

Re: Getting a mosrite 5 yrs after ordering

Postby leftyjay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:11 pm

here is a teaser pic

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:00 am

Hey Lefty Jay! You are one of the best pickers I have ever heard, and it is an honor to hear you play our guitars. I hope you have been well down there in Fl.

Best, Bob

leftyjay

Postby leftyjay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:33 am

Bob, thank you sir.

I grew up on Ventures, Chet Atkins, and Les Paul as a pre-teen. then the rockin guitarists filled the music scene in the 70s and 80s. that inspired me as well. but i still love the hot country pickin style. with so many styles of music, i enjoy using them all in my playing style.

i love the Mosrite style guitars. it inspires me to play my roots music i learned as a kid. i gig with a Mosrite or a Hallmark every week. i found my niche down here in Florida as a solo, and play over 200 shows a year. it is always cool to play these guitars on stage

i have over 30 guitars, but i still gravitate towards the Mosrite style guitars. there is some major mojo in those instruments

leftyjay

Postby leftyjay » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 pm

She arrived safe and sound. perfectly flawless finish. plastic still on the pickguard. Dana's signature and dated in the cavity and pickups.
the only thing i had to do is reverse the bridge so the acorn nuts faced the vibramute and not the bridge pickup. it is set too close and the acorn nuts rested against the pickup ring. by flipping it 180 degrees allows for free movement of the floating bridge, plus it is easier to set the intonation. merely screw the pickup down so you can get a screwdriver in there and adjust. when you're done, screw the pickup to the original height.

couldnt be happier to get this guitar. it took 5 years, but the wait was worth it. plus i got a substantial discount on the price and still ended up with a mint condition lefty Mosrite. :D

sorry for the 2 blurred photos of her signature. i put it back together before i found out the pics sucked.

the cavity says Dana Moseley 2012
the pickups say Dana Moseley 2013. remember this guitar took over a year to complete

Out of Limits

Postby Out of Limits » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:43 am

That is beautiful. I'm still flipping between candy red and pearl white as my favourite finish, but I'd be happy with either. I guess this one was meant to be.
Stu

leftyjay

Postby leftyjay » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:58 pm

I already had a pearl white Hallmark C60 that was a special run of 12 lefties. 4 of them were white. I felt fortunate to get one of those.

my brother owns a 1966 Red Metalflake Mosrite that he bought brand new back then. he was 17 and i was 7. we grew up on ventures music. I always wanted a red one like my brother. there arent very many out there. most people just custom order a lefty and hope it doesnt take forever to get it.

here is my brothers 66 mosrite.

its cool how his naturally checked across the finish. its still a great player. he had it refretted in the early 90s. they used banjo frets to make them as close to the original fret size as they could. still plays like butter.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:17 am

Jeez, both of those are gorgeous guitars.

leftyjay

Postby leftyjay » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:17 pm

I have to get a new family photo with all 4 of my Mo guitars. Here are the other 3. Other than the color on my 3 Mosrites, they sound and play identical. I have the pearl white Hallmark C60 dialed in too. It's a fun night when I get to play one of these guitars at a gig.

the black Fillmore now has Dana Mo pickups with plain covers and is sporting a new tortoise pickguard that i made a while back.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 am

Looking good Jay, super nice and rare collection!

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”