Mosrite Mk II bass

Klubbo

Mosrite Mk II bass

Postby Klubbo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:26 am

I'm considering buying a Mosrite bass, but don't know enough about them. I've searched the forum but haven't found much about the one I might buy...

It's supposed to be "new" and signed by Dana Moseley. It's white with a black pickguard, and looks exactly like the CJ Ramone signature bass except there's no sticker/logo on the body. It's being sold from a dealer in Sweden, and as far as I understand it has been on the shelf for some time. Unfortunately the dealer is located too far from where I live to see it "live" and try it out.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it supposed to be of good quality? What sort of laquer does it have? Did Dana wire the bass pickups as well? Has anyone heared of Danas signature being forged?

The price on this particular bass has been dropped from approx 1600 dollars to about 1000, and even though that is a significant drop it's still a lot of money for me, and I really don't want to risk spending that much on a "fraud" (yes I know some people consider all modern Mosrites fraudes...).

I guess this is a Fillmore Mosrite, assembled by Dana. If its "legit"...

Can anyone help me?

Klubbo

Re: Mosrite Mk II bass

Postby Klubbo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:08 am

So I got some pics from the dealer, and made a short youtube clip of them.

Apparently the bass has been on the shelf at the dealers for a couple of years.

Any input, advice, opinions are more than welcome!

https://youtu.be/B4kVirzvFPg

ifeelrealistic

Postby ifeelrealistic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:11 pm

I have a Fillmore MkII guitar from Front Porch in Bakersfield.

Details like the b/w/b pickguard, knobs, the not-great finish around the neck screws, etc. line-up with mine. However, the "Mosrite Original" decal is different. Mine says "Made in USA" as the "Mosrite Original" guitars, I believe, we're supposed to designate that they were built by Dana, from Japanese parts, in Bakersfield. I haven't seen a decal without the Made in USA, but perhaps others have.

I could be so, so wrong. I'm real new around here, but I hope this helps.

Here's a link to photos of my guitar.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146363540 ... 6180763516

ifeelrealistic

Postby ifeelrealistic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Oh! The serial number stamping looks a little weird/crowded as well.

Klubbo

Postby Klubbo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 pm

Thank's for your input! Actually Dana herself has confirmed on Facebookthat she assembled this actual bass, so I'll give it a shot!

:-)

ifeelrealistic

Postby ifeelrealistic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:17 am

Nice! It's a cool bass for sure. I love my Fillmore MkII. I bought it for fun and it's turned out to be my go-to (I went ahead and added a Ventures II decal).

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”