Deke Dickerson Truss Rod help

Diggey

Deke Dickerson Truss Rod help

Postby Diggey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Does anyone know if the Hallmark Deke Dickerson models are dual action truss rods? When I turned clockwise to tighten and remove bow, the nut got very loose with only one tiny turn. I don't want to keep turning unless I know. Can anyone help?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Re: Deke Dickerson Truss Rod help

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Yes it is a dual action rod, so keep turning the nut until you feel the pressure. Be careful though, just go a little at a time until the neck is straight. ;)

Best, Bob

Diggey

Postby Diggey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 pm

Bob, thanks for responding. It worked perfectly. I just wanted to be sure before I started to crank it.

My next question, is how do I adjust the pole pieces and over all heights? Or should I ask, can I adjust them? They seem to not want to turn and I don't want to strip them by forcing them.

The bass side is a bit boomy in the neck pickup. Are the two little screws used to raise and lower them all at once? Is it common to have the bass side bottomed out and still be boomy? This is why I asked about the pole pieces for each string so perhaps I can tame it. I guess my question is are these adjustable up and down. In addition to the two small screws used to raise and lower the pickup?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 pm

The pickups are really not adjustable as by design. My suggestion would be to play with the amp tone or the tone knob on your guitar. If you unscrew the two small screws the pickup will dismount and fall in the guitar. They hold the pickup in the cover, just like a p90. I have not heard anyone ever adjusting these or the vintage Carvin pickups for that matter. So there must be a way for you to adjust the tone and get the sound you like with the tone knob on the guitar and amp. Joe Maphis and Larry Collins did it well. Deke has never mentioned it being boomey as well.

Anyway play around with the tone knobs and see what you can come up with. My best suggestion,

Bob

Diggey

Postby Diggey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:43 pm

Well, I guess boomy isn't the right term. The Low "E" string volume is louder than the others. Mainly because it goes directly over the pole screw head. The others are misaligned and are a touch "less loud" when picking with the same intensity. This cause the low "E" to be louder. So you are saying lowering the poles does nothing?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:31 pm

That is not what I said. You can try adjusting the pole piece however trying to lower it could possibly strip the threads in the coil. You can go higher with the poles but not lower as they are already as low as they will go.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”