Wilson Brothers at NAMM 2016

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Wilson Brothers at NAMM 2016

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:50 pm

Just back from the NAMM 2016 convention. As a very pleasant surprise, I discovered that Wilson Brothers had their new, USA made guitars at the show. First and foremost, as a lifelong fan of The Ventures, it was a huge honor to meet Don Wilson. His chugging rhythm guitar style has been inspirational to me, and something I try to emulate whenever a song needs extra drive. He's a really nice guy and it was great to talk to him a bit about the Ventures origin and how he came to develop his technique.

The Wilson Brothers have two main models, one a Mosrite style with M3 dual tones (blue in the photo below) and an update on the previous Wilson Bros/Aria style (in red). I briefly strummed the Mosrite style and it's Mosrite-y in all the necessary ways - body shape, pickups, vibrato, neck profile. I spent more time with the Aria one as I hadn't played this type before. It's got more of a Jazzmaster influence, both in the vibrato and in the neck profile - it's chunky like a late 60's Fender, so imagine Don's '67 JM was the inspiration here. The pickups are humbucker sized single coils, with some type of tapping. I didn't get a chance to really test these as the NAMM hall is full of people demoing guitars, basses, drums and all sorts of things so it's rather cacophonous. It sounded nice with the outboard reverb and blackface Fender amp, but beyond that I can't really describe them.

Definitely check these out if you get the chance!

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Wilson Brothers at NAMM 2016

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:19 am

Is the blue one built by M-3 of California?
Danny Ellison

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:13 am

Very cool! I didn't know they were still in business. At the last NAMM Show I went to (2005) I did a lot of hanging out at the Wilson Bros. booth with Don Wilson and James Fox--good guys, both of them. I'd bought a Japanese Ventures 40th Anniversary model the year before, had a lot of trouble with the Jazzmaster bridge and vibrato and had to send it back. Great pickups, great neck, but that bridge was a mess. I'd seen a picture of Don with one that had Aria's version of a Vibramute, and I asked if they could get me one of those--Don told me he couldn't even get one anymore! Maybe they're doing one now...

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:00 am

Howdy,
Sent an email to "Tim" per their website regarding pricing for the USA Custom as the price is not listed on the website. Not really a fan of the body style...kinda looks like they took a Mosrite and traced the body style in reverse for the Wilson brothers versions and the offset isn't as dramatic as in a Mosrite. I have a WB VM-75 but haven't really played it much. Just my 2 cents.
Scott

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:56 am

Danny,
For the blue Mosrite style, the pickups and vibrato are from M3, but it was built by someone in Washington state.

JFine,
The Aria style has a Jazzmaster type vibrato, but I don't recall what the bridge itself was. The Aria vibramute is a cool looking system; it's too bad they're not available.

BRRanger,
I didn't ask about pricing so I don't know the answer there. I think they're doing the Mosrite style guitar for those who prefer the classic look. I'm glad they're doing both designs.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:59 am

I was seeing some pics of the blue one on Facebook from friends who went.
I can't wait to see the price point on those.
So much more accurate.
Me being a die hard Hallmark guy the only thing I see it's lacking is some binding, a 3 ply pick guard, metal nut, and some top hat knobs.
But...It would be a nice back up to have for live shows instead of my other Hallmark.
I am trying to keep the back up Hallmark in it's case to keep it mint.
My player Hallmark is already getting pretty dinged up after a few years of moshers knocking the mic into me!
:lol:

EFElliott
Top Producer

Postby EFElliott » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:32 pm

Hey Mel, Did Fillmore have a booth at show?? Any other Mosrite clones beside Wilson Bros.
Ed

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:00 pm

3500 clams is the retail - so I've heard - on the blue one built in Seattle. Thanks for the report, Mel!
-Marty

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:10 am

Marty - interesting. that price puts in the ballpark of vintage Ventures model Mosrites.

Ed - I don't think Fillmore was there. I did see that Danelectro is now making a Mosrite-ish guitar. Besides the body shape, it's got a zero fret which is a nice detail. Also the knobs are Mosrite style, but with a "D" on top.

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:56 pm

I was gonna mention the Dan. $3,500 yikes!

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”