Pending Mosrite NGD

SASouth

Re: Pending Mosrite NGD

Postby SASouth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:19 pm

dorkrockrecords wrote:There are currently three companies operating in Japan under the Mosrite name and none are legit, although they all claim ties to the original company. Fillmore holds the current US trademark, but it is not enforced within Japan. Ed Roman was a US distributor for Fillmore.

Cheers.

So is Dana Moseley affiliated with Fillmore? If she is, I noticed her web site says her guitars are Made in the USA. How's that reconciled?

Finally, I'm aware of Kurakumo and Fillmore. What is the name of the third company in Japan operating under the name of Mosrite?

Thanks, for helping me get this sorted.

BTW, from what some others have told me I'm beginning to believe that my new Mosrite is a Kurakumo. What do you think?

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:22 pm

It's Kurokumo (with an O, not an A), and yes your guitar is one.

Dana is associated with Fillmore, and her guitars are assembled in the US with Japanese parts.

The third company goes by the name Mosrite US (formerly Swing Science).

Done.

SASouth

Postby SASouth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:52 pm

dorkrockrecords wrote:It's Kurokumo (with an O, not an A), and yes your guitar is one.

Dana is associated with Fillmore, and her guitars are assembled in the US with Japanese parts.

The third company goes by the name Mosrite US (formerly Swing Science).

Done.

So noted. Thanks!

SASouth

Postby SASouth » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:17 am

rocguitar wrote:I saw this one on ebay a few days ago! Glad you snagged it......before I did!

Congrats on the new guitar! Enjoy!

Thanks! It took a few days longer than expected to get here thanks to good ol' UPS, but thank heavens it did arrive in one piece. It plays quite nicely even though it needs some new strings and a quick setup for it to be exactly to my tastes. I'm enjoying it. I'll post some of my pics once I take them.

This weekend I also traded for a '66 Combo which I'll post in another thread.

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:11 am

I had a Super Excellent just like that one and it was a super excellent playing guitar! Maybe the pickups could have been a little better but overall it was a fine guitar, I actually though the hardware was better and stole the bridge off of mine to put on a fillmore 63' reissue.

Btw, I have a fillmore made in USA guitar, I bought it from Japan but the warranty care says V-63 USA, and says Mosrite of California on the headstock. Later on, I bought a similar looking red guitar, but this one was a Made in USA Standard model, when I got it the warranty card listed it as a Mosrite 1964 made in USA. The headstock also says Mosrite Made in USA standard model.

Both of them are Fillmores, and I believe they were both cut in Japan, and not sure where the USA part comes in either of them, there are no marks anywhere, no Dana signature on the pups, but they both came with CTS pots and the correct disc cap .05. Serial numbers are different too as the 1964 has the model number before the serial.

They are great guitars and beautiful but it's a shame I'll probably never know where or when they were made.
I don't mean to hijack your thread and hope the pearl white comes soon.

Mine had a beautiful blueish undercoat, and toggle switch was a poor one but the bridge had locking screws underneath the saddles, which is a great upgrade. Hope you enjoy it and let us know how it is!!

dshads4

Postby dshads4 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi - Your guitar is definitely made by Kurokumo, you will find a decal "Made in Japan" located on the back of the neck near the headstock. Fillmore have printed "Made in Japan" on the back of the neck but closer to the body. Opposite location. Also, the "Mosrite of California" on the sand cast Vibramute, the word "California" is more pronounced or distinct on the Kurokumo's compared to the rest.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”