Excellent or Super Excellent?

goldentrem

Excellent or Super Excellent?

Postby goldentrem » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:44 pm

After being Mosrite - less for several years I've decided to get another, I really miss the neck.
What's the difference between an Excellent and Super Excellent?
Pickups?, Necks?, Electronics?
I've owned a Excellent and really liked it apart from the whammy/bridge, seemed to always go out of tune no matter the set-up I or guitar techs did on it.
The Fillmore was nice, good whammy but weighed a ton.
I'll be buying direct, secondhand from Japan so no chance to try before buy.
So what's the diff?

Hydra19
Valued Member

Re: Excellent or Super Excellent?

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:30 am

as far as I'm aware the Kurokumos get higher specs the more you pay. I had a Super Excellent and it was one super excellent guitar. the bridge had locking saddles, but I think the electronics weren't so good. I think only the top of the line Royal 63 is nitro lacquer and hotter pickups, which is not vintage correct for 63' models.
Check out their page where they list the Telestar and Bumblebee models, it's basically the same guitar with better specs

goldentrem

Postby goldentrem » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks Hydra19

Vance Directive

Postby Vance Directive » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:55 pm

I own an "Excellent" and indeed the bridge/tailpiece is anything but that. Do you know an appropriate upgrade that fits the same baseplate outline? I love this axe but it won't stay n tune and it's not just a problem with the spring seating, it's endemic to the flawed build. Help!

Vance Directive

Postby Vance Directive » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:55 pm

I own an "Excellent" and indeed the bridge/tailpiece is undeserving of the name stamped on it. Do you know an appropriate upgrade that fits the same baseplate outline? I love this axe but it won't stay n tune and it's not just a problem with the spring seating, it's endemic to the flawed build. Help!

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:15 pm

I've never seen official Kurokumo literature listing a "Super Excellent". However, the last literature of which I am aware was from the early 2000's. For their Ventures Models, that literature listed the Excellent, Super Custom '64, Super Custom '65 and the '63 Royal. The windings did indeed increase between the Excellent, Super Customs, and Royal - and I have found that, as mentioned above, the Royal has higher output than my original Mosrites.

As to the quality differences, I've had all the Kurokumo Ventures models I listed. The Excellent was the first one I purchased and was the lightest in weight and had the best sunburst paint job. However, it had a fairly soft pick-guard material that was easy to scratch. The bridge also buzzed where the others didn't (that was solved by wrapping a rubber band around the two offending bridge posts). I liked the Excellent quite a lot but eventually sold it as I didn't need so many Mosrites (Blasphemy, I know).

The Super Custom's have a more solid feel which may just be the fact that the bridges don't buzz. The pickguards are a more robust material resistant to scratches. The bridge plates appear to be of higher quality and read "Mosrite" on the SC '65 and "Vibramute" on the SC '65. The guitars aren't heavy, which I like, but not quite as light as the Excellent. The SC '64 has the spun knobs and the SC '65 has the hat knobs but no numbers.

The action on all models is fantastic - better than most of the original Mosrites I've owned or played. I suspect it's due to the high tolerances and consistency in the machine manufacturing process.

-Marty

Vance Directive

Postby Vance Directive » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:25 am

No one on this forum offered a single word of advice, not even of sympathy. I am underwhelmed. I did get advice on another forum not even specific to Mosrites, and using it I fixed the problem of the Excellent vibrato tailpiece with no expenditure of cash. If any are interested, I'll share that advice.

Vance Directive wrote:I own an "Excellent" and indeed the bridge/tailpiece is undeserving of the name stamped on it. Do you know an appropriate upgrade that fits the same baseplate outline? I love this axe but it won't stay n tune and it's not just a problem with the spring seating, it's endemic to the flawed build. Help!

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:13 am

Hi Vance,
Ok, you have my sympathy...although I'm afraid I don't have an answer for a suitable replacement for you. Please be patient...sometimes it takes a while for an answer, but this is the best place to get answers to your questions!
Sympathetically,
Scott

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”