Mosrite USA 64 reissue Candy Apple Red!

Hydra19
Valued Member

Mosrite USA 64 reissue Candy Apple Red!

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:44 am

just got this from Japan, looks to be another USA Mosrite but this one has made in USA on the headstock, pickups look the same as the blue 63' reissue. Came with 10 packs of Mosrite Lead King strings, strap (Mosrite of Classics logo), and a curly Mosrite cable.

The guitar feels just a bit heavier than the blue 63' by Fillmore, neck feels a tiny bit bigger. This Vibramute is also missing bearings with just a rod in there, was slightly disappointed by that, but the guitar is staying in tune so doesn't bother me. The colour is great and playing along to the Ventures was a blast. Need to set the pickup pole pieces but it's already playing great.

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite USA 64 reissue Candy Apple Red!

Postby GattonFan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:09 am

3 Beauties! Love the CAR - striking guitar!
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:48 am

Very nice.
Jim

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am

Man, you got the GAS! What's this now....3 Mosrites in about a year? Nice.

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 am

Yes, this is my 3rd Mosrite of the year. Loved the Hallmark I had a few years ago, decided to go for a Mosrite for Christmas 2013 and I was never the same player again. I do have the GAS, and can see myself getting a Royal 63, although I'd love to have one in green as well.

The vintage Mosrite is the MacDaddy-O! The sound is so rich, harmonics, and the vibrato is in a class of its own, even compared to the Mosrites below!
The blue one is my playing guitar which the Candy Apple Red has joined now.
Kurokumo Pearl White could use better pickups and pots but it is a great player too.

I will post a review of all my Mosrites, hopefully with sound clips

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Congrats on the new guitar - nice to see the '66 in good company!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks Mel!

The '66 is in great shape, showing the younger Mosrites how it's done. It is the best sounding Mosrite out of all of them, and generally in a class of its own vs the reissues :)

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:29 pm

Looks good. How are the pickups?

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:23 am

The pickups on the 64 looks and sound pretty much the same as on the 63 reissue, both are made by Fillmore, but one is made in USA while the other one says Mosrite of California, I suspect they're both from the same place in Japan.

The pickups not only sound pretty much the same, but look the same too. They both don't have any logos on them, are made from shiny plastic and have pole screws that seem too small for the holes. My Kurokumo and original both have the bigger Mosrite screws, as do my M3 copies. I don't like this as it seems the screws aren't so stable, I often wonder if I change the height by hitting it with my pick.

Now for the sounds....The 63' was my first Mosrite copy, so I was prepared with a set of M3's that I took out of my Hallmark. Thing is, as soon as I plugged the 63' I had a Mosrite sound, it was the 1st thing that came to mind, and with my original being the only real Mosrite I had, I took that as a good sign. Since then I've set the pickups and pole pieces to my preference and both of the reissues now sound great!

They are very clear sounding, but powerful. I haven't measured the resistance, but out of all my 4 Mosrites, the Kurokumo has the most 'polite' sound while the vintage one sounds the best, hot and rude! The Fillmore reissues both handle distortion pretty good, but have the typical Mosrite squeal (from the pickups being too close). I've played along to the Ventures a lot, both studio and live recordings and they're all good for that. I haven't taken out the pups from the 64 red, but from messing with the truss on the 63' I had to remove the neck. The back of the pickup had no markings, and it looked like a Mosrite pickup, lots of glue so you can't really see anything.

So now I still have the M3 pickups that did miracles to my Hallmark, and they've been homeless for over a year now. I'll still keep them but the Mosrite Fillmore reissue pickups sound so good to me, that I won't bother replacing them and I've got the same set on 2 guitars!

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”