New Pearl White Mosrite from Japan!

Hydra19
Valued Member

New Pearl White Mosrite from Japan!

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:53 am

Got a Mosrite from Japan, pearl white, no idea if it's Fillmore or Kurokumo but I suspect it's a Super Excellent. I haven't checked the pickups yet, but the pots are MIJ 500k with a green cap. The pickup switch is wrong, there is nothing to screw on top, I'll have to replace that. No Serial number on the neck or any other information. The bridge is a locking one, with screws underneath the saddles, kinda like Hallmark. Seems like the body carve is pretty flat for a 1965 so another thing pointing to Kurokumo.
It plays great, I was playing that and the 1963 fillmore reissue last night. The fillmore string guide has wider slots, and a longer, stiffer spring but other than that they're pretty similar.

What's your opinion? Kurokumo?

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Re: New Pearl White Mosrite from Japan!

Postby KRamone27 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:42 am

From what I remember if it says "Mosrite of California" on the headstock it's more than likely it's a kurokumo. Regardless that's a sweet looking axe. Where'd you buy it from?

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:38 am

thanks, I got it from J-gutiar in Japan and it cost me 50% of what my other Mosrites did! I have a 1963 reissue by Fillmore with warranty card and everything and it also has Mosrite of California logo with no Ventures logo, the bridge is a different one on the 1963 reissue, it also came with CTS pots and no logo pickups with small pole pieces.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:03 am

Cool man, congrats!

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:43 am

Looks like a Kurokumo - I have a blue one with that kind of switch tip - no grooves in it, just a straight, slender tip. Mine is a really great playing guitar. Enjoy.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:58 am

cool, seems like a Super Excellent then! MIJ 500k pots, pickup poles were all flat so I've setup the bridge pickup now and it sounds great. Seems to me the neck is a tiny bit wider or larger, it sure feels good in my hand.

And the pearl white is beautiful, seems to have a bluish undercoat

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”