Mosrite Blue Excellent vs unknown Pearl White

Hydra19
Valued Member

Mosrite Blue Excellent vs unknown Pearl White

Postby Hydra19 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 am

I'm considering selling all my other guitars for more Mosrites but for now there's 2 I'm considering and need to make a choice between the 2 but I've found myself going back and forth so could use some advice. I would really appreciate it if you could post your opinion.

this looks like an Excellent, cool colour, but am worried the tailpiece and bridge are not as good as some of the better models. It also looks like it has a ding in the front. I like the colour and that it has a Ventures logo. I don't like the colour of pickups but got a set of M3's just waiting to be put in a guitar

this one doesn't have a Ventures logo and it is just slightly cheaper than the blue Excellent. From what I can see it looks like a Fillmore 65 reissue, which should be a step up from the Mosrite Excellent line, it also has a Vibramute. Doesn't have a Ventures logo.

Which guitar do you think is better for the price? They are priced similarly but the Pearl White is about $200 cheaper. I've had more pics of that guitar, and it has some mineral streaks on the back of the neck which is not a worry for me. I will need to get a Ventures logo on there though!

My other 2 Mosrites are much more valuable and nicer, so want this next one to be a proper player.

Some of my friends and teachers have been stunned by the 1963 reissue and these Mosrites are lovely! Since buying them I have not played my Fender Jaguar nor Orville by Gibson Les Paul. Hopefully one day in the future I'll be strong enough to sell them both and get yet another Mo (would love a natural finish with maple neck) like this:

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Mosrite Blue Excellent vs unknown Pearl White

Postby Greg_L » Tue May 20, 2014 10:36 am

I vote for blue.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Tue May 20, 2014 4:54 pm

I've had four of the Kurokomos (sp?) including an Excellent, Super Custom '64, Super Custom '65 and '63 Royal. The tailpiece and bridge on the Excellent were as good as the better models. The only thing I didn't like about the Excellent was that the pick-guard was soft and very susceptible to pick scratches. The better models use a harder plastic for the pick-guard and are much more resistant to pick scratches. I personally have to have a screened Ventures logo so the blue one would also get my vote.
-Marty

mchoate1

Postby mchoate1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:47 am

I have a Blue one made in Bakersfield in 1965. it is a great Guitar. I also have a Fillmore pearl white 65 with Diana PUPS marked Mosrite of California. Love them both... my wife is from Bakersfield and new the whole crew then.. Diana is still there, but my wife was there just last week and was told she was moving to Oklahoma. If you want a great deal on a Mosrite contact Artie at the Front Porch in Bakersfield, ca.. Later

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”