Video of my Dillion DMB7504 Bass & Luthier Evan Gluck

Edward Lopez

Video of my Dillion DMB7504 Bass & Luthier Evan Gluck

Postby Edward Lopez » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 pm

A little history.

A couple of years ago I bought a 1972 Mosrite bass from dubtrub. Before I did, I had acquired a Dillion DMB7504 bass in like-new condition (the manufacturer's sale tag said $749). But my need to again own a real Mosrite, as I had owned 2 in the past, led me to sell the Dillion, something I later regretted doing and while owning the Mosrite I was still on the lookout for another Dillion. Strange behavior, eh?

I never got into learning to play the bass again so, sadly I sold the Mosrite. But, fortunately, a Dillion became available on ebay and the seller started the bidding off real low and left out vital keywords such as Mosrite, The Ventures. Needless to say, I got the winning bid. But the seller cautioned that the neck pickup was dead. Because the seller had replaced the original white pickguard with one of his choosing I asked him to put the original back, in doing so he disconnected the jack wire so that the bass was silent. Because of his goof he offered me a partial refund which I accepted.

Prior to buying the Dillion I had purchased a new Aria DMB 380 Bass for $91 including free shipping! After buying the Dillion a few days after the Aria I put the Aria on craigslist for $200 and it sold. The buyer of the Aria, John Hamilton, is the bassist for the trio The Bakersfield Breakers. I told John about the pickup problems with the Dillion and he recommended New York Guitar Repair. I contacted NYGR and the owner Evan Gluck eventually fixed the Dillion finding that the neck pickup worked just fine, it was a bad pot. He gave the bass a professional set up and when I picked it up I asked him to strum the bass while I videotaped him. That's what you see in the video. Oh, yeah, I asked to replace the original white pickguard with the one the seller had selected as it really is more harmonious with the sunburst finish.

Whew!

So I've told you a nifty stor and introduced you to a NYC Master Luthier should you ever need his services.

One final question to you all. I had to move from Windows XP to 8.1 which I find awful. What system are you using?

Before starting the video, select in Settings High Definition: 1080.

jfine
Top Producer

Re: Video of my Dillion DMB7504 Bass & Luthier Evan Gluck

Postby jfine » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:41 am

Really good-sounding bass, and that tortoiseshell pickguard looks great!

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks. I posted to show my bass which is as nice an almost-copy and it does sound great. Evan's setup was a bit noisy but it wasn't due to my bass. I'm glad I changed my mind on sticking to the original white pickguard as this one looks more harmonious to the overall look.

Also, I wanted to bring to the membership notice of Evan who is a master luthier and if anyone needs to have their instruments serviced he is a topnotch repair person. He can be heard talking to a music "class" in a video at YouTube.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Nice Bass Edward, glad to see you back!
Scott

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Wow, that's a heck of a lot nicer bass than I thought Dillion would make. And you play with great finesse, Edward! I like when folks show the instruments in action.
-Marty

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:37 am

One final question to you all. I had to move from Windows XP to 8.1 which I find awful. What system are you using?

I also went from winXP to win 8.1. It was a big learning curve but now that I have been using it a few months I like it. It just takes time and the other side of the coin is that it is all you can get for now. Even anything new down the road will never work like XP did.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Tue May 06, 2014 1:07 pm

sleeperNY wrote:One final question to you all. I had to move from Windows XP to 8.1 which I find awful. What system are you using?

I also went from winXP to win 8.1. It was a big learning curve but now that I have been using it a few months I like it. It just takes time and the other side of the coin is that it is all you can get for now. Even anything new down the road will never work like XP did.

Jim

I'm using Windows 7 which I like quite a lot. I also have Windows 8.1 on a Windows Surface computer and love it BUT that's because the Surface has touch-screen capability. Windows 8 without a touchscreen has got to be purdy bad. -Marty

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”