Mosrite 1963 reissue by Fillmore pics

Hydra19
Valued Member

Mosrite 1963 reissue by Fillmore pics

Postby Hydra19 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:43 am

I found a 1963 reissue going for a good price, on digimart so I contacted a japanese friend of mine and he bought me the guitar. It's in ink blue which I always wanted. Sidejack, binding and Vibramute, but no Ventures logo. It's a nice blue that changes colour with as the light hits it, real nice and I assume it has a thin poly finish.

It plays great, so far, but I need to add some relief for the .09 gauge strings and the tremolo arm needs to be tightened a lot, it's so loose it' s unusable. The guitar is used to has a couple of dings, but nothing too bad. Couple of QC issue I noticed is that there's some kind of hair or something stuck in the finish, on the binding, I took a photo of it, and the other is that the pick guard is a little too big in some places and extends the curve of the guitar, no biggies, and nothing I can't fix.

I assume this is a non-Dana model made entirely in Japan, although it does say Mosrite USA in the case. The warranty card says it's a USA V-63 reissue, serial number 0034. I didn't look at the pickups, they sound ok but look more like the Hallmark pickups, sooner or later I'll pop the M3 pickups in there. The pots are CTS 500k and it appears to have a small, orange ceramic cap, .05. I was going to replace it with a Jensen PIO .047 but I might keep it like this

Compared to the 1966, the neck is different, not too much but not as flat as the '66 and it has frets, similar to Hallmark frets. I have been getting to grips with the Speed Frets of the original, and while the 1963 is a great guitar, the 1966 is more Mosrite sounding, as it should be.

I know for the money I could have gotten another original, but I wanted a sidejack, ink blue, and I'm happy with it.
Along with the shipment I also received my Retroman Rite On germanium fuzz based on the Mosrite Germanium Fuzzrite, and it's great!
Once I get some videos of the guitars I'll post some clips but for now, here are some photos.

How do you like it? I'll get some clips up by next weekend!

here you can see a some kind of hair in the finish in the binding, really small but there

here you can see the pick guard is bigger than the body, might have to cut it myself

real nice carve

with it's 1966 Californian relative

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Mosrite 1963 reissue by Fillmore pics

Postby Greg_L » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:22 am

Super cool man!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 am

Congrats on your beautiful guitar! The pickguard not fitting the curvature was normal on the original guitars built here in Bakersfield. As for Dana, she receives unassembled guitars from Japan, assembles and set them up, in some cases installs the pickups she winds, then sends the guitars back to Japan. That way they can say built in USA, or more accurately translated "assembled" in USA. Dana only assembles guitars, she DOES NOT build guitars as she claims on her facebook page as being a 'master guitar builder'. Very few of her assembled guitars remain stateside. I'm pretty sure the only ones that remain here go to Artie's Front Porch Music. I'm not sure about Ed Roman in Las Vegas but they probably get them direct from Japan Fillmore.
Danny Ellison

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:42 pm

thank you, here are some more pics

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Love the Ink Blue!!! ;)
That's the same color that was on Bogle's '63 Bass in
which you can see it on the WDR '64 Vol II album :mrgreen: .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:36 am

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:53 am

this guitar has finally been fixed, the whole vibramute was very weird, bit the bullet and sent the whole Vibramute to Bob Shade to fixed it, the arm still gets very loose pretty quickly but it performs better now so the guitar stays in tune.

Anyway, this was advertised as a USA guitar, now I've ordered a 64 reissue that says Mosrite made in USA standard model. So one of these will be a Dana guitar! I have yet to receive and will make a review post once it gets in! Comes with case candy! stay tuned...

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:01 am

Congrats on getting it fixed, I need to get a blue one for myself...that color is killer!
Scott

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:33 am

thanks, it is being played a lot more now too!.

The color is fantastic and much better in person than on any photo I have seen of this guitar. As mentioned it says USA V-63 in the certificate in the case so I believe it could be one with Dana pickups, they sound great and as soon as I heard them I knew my M3 set would have to wait for another guitar. I am getting a made in U.S.A (not really) 64 reissue, with Dana pickups next week so I'll compare them and make a review of my Mosrites.

I have thought of having my pearl white refinished in such a blue color but I know it wouldn't look the same. The blue seems to have a bronze or gold undercoat. The blue guitar is the one everyone comments about when they visit my Mo' town :)

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”