Japanese Mosrite pickups

Hydra19
Valued Member

Japanese Mosrite pickups

Postby Hydra19 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 am

hi, does anyone know the lowdown on the pickups in the Japanese Mosrites? (fillmore and kurukomo)
I heard some clips and read some stuff that leads me to believe they are not as faithful clones as the guitars are.

I have heard that some are ceramic, and in some comparisions, some people thought the japanese copies sounded different due to the pickups, whilst the rest of the guitars was pretty spot on.

Anybody have any experiences?
Reason I am asking is I'm planning to buy another Mosrite, but this time a japanese one. I'd be going for the 1963 reissue if I can find it at a good price, or if not, a normal 65 reissue.
I just wonder if the pickups in these guitars are usually good, or if most people opt to get some clones made so that they are closer to the real thing?

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Re: Japanese Mosrite pickups

Postby MarkyKobane » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 am

I wasn't too happy with the pickups in my Firstman, but if you can score a good deal on the guitar, a new set of pickups would be worth it.

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:06 am

thanks, I've got a set of M3 pickups in my Hallmark but am selling the Hallmark so I would keep the M3s in case the Japanese pickups are worse, but I was just wondering if anyone had more details on the construction, materials, etc.

I heard some were ceramic, whereas I believe original mosrites were Alnico 5, as are the M3

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:42 am

if anyone cares to hear an opinion on the japanese 63 reissue pickups, they look well made, they sound pretty good, but the pole pieces are small screws, unlike the Mosrite pickup pole pieces, which is a look kiler

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”