Mosrite vs Hallmark vs Japanese

MiamiJeff

Re: Mosrite vs Hallmark vs Japanese

Postby MiamiJeff » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:35 pm

So, I am (relatively) new to this forum. So, as a newbie, I’m here to discuss what I didn’t find which I was looking for.

THE Question: How do the Japanese copies rate relative to a vintage USA Ventures Mark I model?

Well, in order to answer that, one needs to own one of each, record with same settings, etc. I’m rather obsessive compulsive, so I had to have one of each to really understand the difference.

Re: A side by side audio comparison; a made in USA 1966 Mark I (1st in the recording) vs a Japanese Kurokumo (Black/Dark Cloud reproduction. (2nd)

All settings were exactly the same- ran through a Pod Line 6 effects processor.

My take: The newer electronics in the Japanese version give a marginally higher gain (louder) output than the vintage. However, it has an ever so subtle more mid-range/muddy tone. A very impressively close sound. Almost identical, with the vintage model having a bit more high-end tone, and the Japanese version having a slightly hotter output.

Note: There is also a Japanese version by a company called “Fillmore”, but I don’t have one of those. They are often as expensive/ more expensive than a vintage. I really don’t get that, but am always willing to listen. There’s also that Ed Roman company producing out of Las Vegas. I cannot comment on that version either. All replies are welcomed.

I know of 5 versions (Mark I)

USA Mosrite (California, USA)
Kurokumo version (Japan)
Fillmore version (Japan)
Ed Roman version (Las Vegas, NV USA)
Tym guitars version (Australia)

Any others?

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:26 pm

Good to hear from one so dedicated. I own a beautiful 1990 KuroKumo copy of a '63-'65 Mosrite THE VENTURES model. I cannot compare as you have done but I'm more than satisfied with its sound. Does your KK have a serial number on the last fret? Mine does. Does your KK pickup say M mosrite? Mine does. Does the back plate the usual shape and does it say Mosrite on it? Mine does.

It'd be nice if you could post photos of your instruments, especially the KuroKumo. I'd love to see it.

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:42 am

Hi MiamiJeff,
Welcome to the Mosrite Guitar Forum!
I read your post back in Dec but just noticed today you are the newest forum member...
Interesting comments about the tone of the vintage vs Kurokumo.
Would you care to comment on the playability of the two? Other comparisons?
After re-reading your post I thought of more kinds that may be considered...
The E.F. Elliott guitars would qualify as Eddy is a former Mosrite builder.
And the Hallmark Guitars as they are deeply rooted in Mosrite history as well.
There's also the instruments from this websitehttp://www.semiemoseley.us/home.html Dana Moseley appears to be with.
Does anyone on the forum have one of these and care to comment?

MiamiJeff

Postby MiamiJeff » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Hello all- in response to the questions about my KK Mosrite:
Yes- it has a serial # on the last fret.
Yes- it has the peanut shaped neck plate with Mosrite stamped on it.
Yes- the pickups do have M Mosrite on them.
It also has the control knobs that look more like flying saucers than the vintage top hat shape.

From a playability standpoint, I’m a little embarrassed to say that the KK wins over the 1966 vintage. It really does play like a dream. It overall seems a little more solid too. Maybe just a bit heavier.

Thanks to everyone who replied and for the shared information. I greatly appreciate it as I am genuinely fascinated with this model of guitar.

MiamiJeff

Postby MiamiJeff » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Hey all, sorry to be lame, but I’m an old Gen-x dude. Will someone kindly explain how to post pics on here? I’d love to share. Thank you young whipper-snappers.

MiamiJeff

Postby MiamiJeff » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:33 pm

Ps- also the KK has a much more smooth and sensitive tremolo system. It takes a lot more force on my vintage 1966.

Body shape, neck, frets, pickups- everything is spot-on on the KK. Side by side, there’s really nothing to call out.

One odd note: the KK’s pickguard hangs a bit long on the bottom on the guitar. Also the Kk has a beveled pickguard, whereas the vintage is cut at a straight 90 degrees.

MiamiJeff

Postby MiamiJeff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Found my first small finish cracks on my KK recently. On either side of the neck, on the body, where the neck connects. Small, but still... anyone else have this happen on their Kukomuro mark I?

Johnny-Alien

Postby Johnny-Alien » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Its pretty common on all bolt on neck guitars. Especially if its a tight neck pocket.

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Here are some questions I've thought about Japanese Mosrites made by KuroKumo and Fillmore. When they made Mosrites, did they get original "blueprints" from Semie? Did he sell them his left-over inventory? Or did they reverse-engineer made in USA Mosrites? Did they take apart Semie's pickups (and other parts)? What about the decals? Does anyone know the inside secrets on how these 2 manufacturers decided to mimic Mosrites?
BTW, my KuroKumo Mosrite The Ventures model weighs approx. 8.6 pounds which lighter than some Fenders and others. When you hold such a beautiful instrument, what's 8.6 pounds between friends!?

Asch

Postby Asch » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:45 pm

Hello, new member and first time poster so apologies if I have missed a thread that will cover a few questions I have that relate to this post. I am a big fender Jaguar fan however, given the wife has agreed to another guitar purchase I thought I might have a look at a Mosrite rather than another jag but wow understanding what is what is a bit confusing. I can follow whats going on up to the 90's but after that it gets very a bit crazy.

Are you guys able to point me in the right direction regarding the Japanese models - vintage is way out of reach especially given the Australian dollar is worthless overseas!). Specifically - Am I buying a Mosrite if I buy one of these? I have Fender Japan guitars and like them a lot, but are the KuroKumo's on par with these? If so, are they any good circa 2010? There seem to be some real complexities to the Mosrites and even some disagreement as to who has the rights to manufacture (Dana Moseley, Ed Roman, Hallmark, Excellent, KuroKomo???).

I like the look of the surf rider 65 by KuroKomo, but really want to understand what I would be getting and what I should look out for. it seems strange they would put 'of California' on the headstock if the are made in Japan? Are there ways to ensure that the guitar is not a cheap Chinese or Korean knock off? Can you estimate date of manufacture using serial numbers like the fenders?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”