NGD / My small collection

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

NGD / My small collection

Postby SanchoPansen » Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 am

Yesterday I picked up the white Hallmark Surfing Matze was offering some time ago. I feel like my collection is complete, but like someone on the Surf Guitar Forum mentioned: No collection is EVER complete. We just run out of time.

From left to right:
Aria Diamond DM-380 - equipped with M3 Pups
Hallmark 60 Custom - 2009 - the one I picked up from Surfing Matze yesterday (Thanks!)
Mosrite Mark I - Dana Moseley re-issue Model.
Mosrite Mark V - bought in Seattle in 2006. Neck Pu died last year and I had it rewound. Still sounds and plays great!
Hallmark 60 Custom - 2013 - ordered last year and got this one about 2 months ago.

A little history/personal thoughts and feelings:
The Aria is not a serious guitar. It plays like a Strat and the whammy is more a toy. The PU swap helped a lot, but still...it's not a bad guitar, but on the other hand not good enough to take it to gigs or the studio.
The Dana Mosrite is not what I suspected. The build quality of the whammy casting is so poor! It just won't stay in tune and feels really cheap. It still sounds and plays like a real Mosrite, but I would not recommend to buy any of these re-issue Mosrites. Save up for a real vintage one or get a Hallmark. I had to learn the hard way.
The Mark V is real. This is a Mosrite. It plays and sounds excellent. WOW! I'll take it to the studio any time. But not to gigs (not to the sh*t holes we play most of the time). That's why I bought the Hallmarks.
The Hallmarks are reliable work horses. They play different than a Mosrite, but still very close and very comfortable. Soundwise they nail that vintage Mosrite tone. Really good craftsmanship! Absolutely great guitars. Bob is also a very nice person to deal with! I'm still tempted to add a Hallmark Mark II...but I guess my wife will kill me.

kgruggett

Re: NGD / My small collection

Postby kgruggett » Thu May 02, 2013 6:54 am

Hi
Interesting to hear your comparison opinions on the different brands. Nice collection. Add a vintage Gruggett to it someday, you wont be disappointed.
Kathy

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri May 03, 2013 4:57 am

Nice rounded collection!

Thank you for the positive feedback and I am glad you have noticed the time we have taken to make improvements in these guitars. Yes I do see a Hallmark II as a wonderful addition! It has a different tone that would compliment your collection.

And hey, a happy husband is a better husband. Well it never hurts to think that way :)

Sweet collection and thanks again!

Bob

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sat May 25, 2013 6:15 am

Hey Kathy, if I ever get my hand on one in Europe I won't let it go!
And Bob, you're welcome. I've been asked about my guitars on every gig now and had to write down your internet address at least 10 times now.
Hope this gets you some new customers! Please include a couple of business cards in my next order ;-)
Here's an action pic from our show yesterday:
They also got names since yesterday. The other guitar player called the three tone: Captain America and the white one: Space Ghost.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat May 25, 2013 6:24 am

Nice! Which Marshall head is that on your right?

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sat May 25, 2013 6:30 am

Sorry, I have no idea. I'm a Fender man and play a '65 Bassman. The other guitar player uses an Echolette B40N.
Those Marshs were from the bands that supported us, so I have no clue which models.
All I can say is they weren't as beefy and loud as the Bassman and the Echolette ;-)

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat May 25, 2013 7:54 am

Haha, if those Marshalls weren't beefy or loud, that was pure operator error.

Love your guitars. "Capt America" looks especially cool.

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 am

nice collection!

It was interesting what you said about the Dana Fillmore guitar. I got a non-dana reissue of the 1963 model that was great, but it played weirdly. The bridge was messed up (too flat, all the saddles were the same) and the Vibramute wasn't working properly. Upon inspection there weren't even any bearings in it, just a rod to hold it in place. It is being fixed by Bob now, and will report when I get it back.

I'd really like a pearl white but those are hard to find in vintage so might go Fillmore and hope I have better luck

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:50 am

my vibramute has been fixed by Bob at Hallmark! The guitar itself isn't perfect yet but it was a noticable improvement

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:22 am

Cool, thanks for the report! Now that you metion it...there is no bearing on mine as well. If I had the option, I'd definitely send it out to Bob to have it set up. Unfortunately there's a small puddle between us and transport costs are sky high ;-)
Maybe I could get a different Vibramute. Anybody knows a good source for them? I do not want to drill holes in this 'new' guitar, so a matching part would be oh-so-nice. Would the Hallmark units fit on there?

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”