Mosrite-guitars.com

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite-guitars.com

Postby GattonFan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:19 pm

I thought she was employed by a Japanese maker to build these ... has that changed?
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

ludobag
Top Producer

Postby ludobag » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:12 pm

really nice site ;)
the girls too :lol:

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:40 am

Awesome website, thanks for posting.

Nice to see Dana is keeping up the family tradition!

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:52 am

GattonFan wrote:I thought she was employed by a Japanese maker to build these ... has that changed?
Dennis

No, it hasn't. These are Fillmore guitars and her pickups are in the high line models. Nice to see them have a website in English. I had a chance to play a few of the Fillmores at Front Porch Music in Bakersfield a few years ago and they're very nice. I was particularly impressed with the '63 sidejack model with Dana's pickups - no surprise as it was the top of the line.

Hopefully this is just the start and they'll have more info and maybe even some video demos up there eventually.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 pm

This is a very nice sight. It would be a great addition to the sight if Dana could mention and show with pictures the steps she goes through in the creation of these fine instruments. I've discussed the building steps with her in the past but it would be great for the members here and anybody else that visits the sight. I have three of her "Original" guitars and they are marvelous guitars.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 pm

MOSDAN wrote:This is a very nice sight. It would be a great addition to the sight if Dana could mention and show with pictures the steps she goes through in the creation of these fine instruments. I've discussed the building steps with her in the past but it would be great for the members here and anybody else that visits the sight. I have three of her "Original" guitars and they are marvelous guitars.

I'd be very interested in knowing what parts of the assembly she does. I know she winds the pickups and solders the electronics, but it would be cool to know what other aspects of the creation she does? Fret dressing? Bridge placement? Final setup?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:30 pm

From what I understand, Fillmore does all the CNC work to the body and neck along with the metal parts such as the tail peice, bridge, etc. Dana receives the bare body and neck assembled. She then assembles the electronics herself using switchcraft toggle switches and CTS pots. She winds the pick ups herself. In 2009, she told me she used a sewing machine for this but did not say any further as I am sure she wants to preserve her methods. As for the pickup bobbins, rings, and covers I am not sure where she obtains those. From what I understand, Dana and her husband Jaimie do the marvelous fret work as she told me she can do what ever fret profile you want on the guitar when it is being made. In 2009 Jaimie did most of the final setup and inspection. At the time, 2009, it was not mentioned that Dana's son, Dustin, was involved in the operation but from the pictures on the web site it appears Dustin is now doing setup.

When I talked to her in 2009, she told me she outsourced the painting of the guitars. At this time however, the painting may be in house as she told me she was planning on finding a good painter. I will say the paint jobs on all 3 of my Mosrite originals is superb and stands above all others except maybe PRS #10's.

If there is a weak part of the guitar, I would say it is the tailpiece and bridge assembly. In 2009, the bridge assembly did not fit the tailpiece pole pieces correctly and had to be reamed to fit. This I know because I had to exchange a bridge for my first Mosrite Original. Dana and Jaimie advised me to ream the pole holes on the new bridge assembly very carefully. The new bridge they gave me was off of another guitar at the guitar show and did not fit my guitar, that I brought to the show, so at that time it showed consistancy in the tailpiece was not good. Now all is good with the bridge. The guitar still has problems staying in tune when the whammy bar is used but I just use the whammy bar to pull it back in tune. It took awhile to develop this method, but hey it works.

Final word is I love my Mosrite Originals and would recommend them to anybody--Fabulous guitars!!!!! Sorry Dana and Jaimie if any of this is incorrect as I am just recollecting from 2009. Dennis, I hope this helps and I'm not really sure of the changes at her factory since 2009 but I think I got it close.

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:57 am

Great site. does anyone know if these are finished in nitro or poly? My guess is poly. But, it would be a plus if they were nitro....to me, anyway.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Really nice site and gotta wish her the best. Anyone see pricing on the site?

A bass looks appetizing.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Those are fine guitars. I played one about a year ago. Quite heavy weight as I recall.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”