E.F. Elliott '63 Ventures model Panama Lane custom clones

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: 1963 Mosrite Ventures model Panama Lane custom clone guitars

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri May 22, 2009 10:53 am

Dennis, it seems that the vintage guitar industry is more like the antique furniture market, where original finishes are more important than overall condition.

And like the antique furniture market, where there are distressed repro pieces that sell for big money, the relic market is just a way for players to feel like they own a big money guitars too. I prefer to relic my own guitars by playing them.

I wonder what the value of the relics will be in the future? I think that some guys will buy them and think that they will appreciate in value just like a vintage guitar. I'd guess that like Custom Shop and Limited Editions they will have a following, but they will never reach the value levels of original vintage instruments.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri May 22, 2009 11:03 am

As for the automobiles, don't forget that the cost of restoration usually winds up being two to three times the resulting value of the car.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri May 22, 2009 11:32 am

Back on track - I guess it's a matter of taste. If the guitar is an icon, I can see it. Otherwise, given a choice between the work that Eddy just did on that Mosrite, and one that looks like heck - I'll take the resto ...

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 am

GattonFan wrote:Back on track - I guess it's a matter of taste. If the guitar is an icon, I can see it. Otherwise, given a choice between the work that Eddy just did on that Mosrite, and one that looks like heck - I'll take the resto ...

Ditto, that's why my '63 and P.W.'65 Mo's, and my '61 L.P. look brand new. And I would do it all over again! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Fri May 22, 2009 11:52 am

The strawberry Mo' Looks beautiful, Ed! Thanks for sharing!
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

mosriteer

Postby mosriteer » Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Guys:
That strawb red is my guitar (Thanks Ed!). I have several originals in my corral, so one or two restored ones are OK with me.
I'd rather have a restored guitar than a beat-up wreck that I will never pick up and play. Yes - I do play all of the guitars I have, in rotation. I am not the purist collector, although I have done my share of collecting as well.
Ed's work is truly a piece of art - he is a master craftsman.
-Kanad

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat May 23, 2009 9:32 pm

mosriteer wrote:Guys:
That strawb red is my guitar (Thanks Ed!). I have several originals in my corral, so one or two restored ones are OK with me.
I'd rather have a restored guitar than a beat-up wreck that I will never pick up and play. Yes - I do play all of the guitars I have, in rotation. I am not the purist collector, although I have done my share of collecting as well.
Ed's work is truly a piece of art - he is a master craftsman.
-Kanad

Thank you Mosriteer, that's pretty much where I stand as well as I would probably get shot down from a Collectors
point of view in what I have done, but I don't care, because I use these as my 'Main Player Guitars' as well ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat May 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Kanad,
Congratulations on the beautiful restored guitar. I think there's a difference with having Ed restore a Mosrite as he's a former employee. It would be like having a Fender restored by George Fullerton. It's a gorgeous guitar!
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

mosriteer

Postby mosriteer » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 am

Mel:
Thanks. I agree that getting the restoration done by Ed or Bill Gruggett is almost as good as getting the restoration done by Semie. They are both carrying on Semie's legacy.
-Kanad

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”