Master Contributor

Re: MOSRITE SUPER EXCELLENT (Kurokumo)

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Congrats on the Mosrite Paul. It's a nice little axe

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:15 am

Thanks for the heads up and positive comments everyone, I feel a lot more confident now :)
Yes Dennis, finally my own Mo'. I like your term "Mo'ney" :D
Sarah, the same seller also has an interesting GRETSCH amp for sale that you may wish to check out :shock: ------> http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-6156-Amp-Va ... 43a8ff38af
olrocknroller, you utter words of wisdom, sir...I'm still enjoying my 'cheap' Hagstrom Super Swede! ;)
Danny, thanks for pointing out the ad on the Surf Guitar 101 forum. I have found Ted Murdock to be a nice person to deal with. As soon as the Super Excellent arrives I'll post my findings -of course.
Mel, would you believe that your Excellent was in the back of my mind when I decided to buy this beauty?!
Of course, I haven't forgotten your fine custom decal design for moi :mrgreen: :

..........................Image

TimR, thanks for filling me in on a bit of Kurokumo history, ...really appreciate it! My next step will be to try and replace the present (privately applied) decal with a waterslide "The Ventures model" decal... :?

Yes, my first 'real' Mosrite -second hand; -for that kind of money I'm willing to take the risk of seeing if I can manage to get my hands to adapt to the slender Mosrite neck!
I don't have sausage fingers but when you are so used to playing Fender necks mostly... :roll: But it's fair to give my Hallmark 60 Custom due credit for helping me tremendously in this regard! I'd better stop rambling...thanks for listening, my friends!
-Paul

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:41 am

Congrats, Paul! Those are very nice guitars, for the Mosrite 'feel' and sound. I keep mine out on the stand for easy access all the time - it's gotten to feeling comfortable, like my strats used to. I'm sure you'll like it
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:02 am

Thanks Paul! I'll keep an eye on that, just in case.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:06 am

Nice score, Paul!
Look forward to your comments upon receiving it and "bonding" with it.

edit to add:
I'm not 100 percent on this, but I believe another difference between the Excellent and Super Excellent is the wood: basswood for the Excellent, alder for the Super Excellent.

juan_10
Valued Member

Postby juan_10 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Wonderful Paul ! With online tracking you will be able to follow its progress towards you ! That is one nice looking sunburst , the super excellent is going to be a work of craftsmanship A bit of excitement , good call. :-)

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:41 am

Congratulations! It is a beautiful quality guitar, and at that price I'd say you did very good.
This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Super excellent score, Paul! The Excellents are done very well. I much prefer the burst job I see on the Excellent vs the burst on the other Kurokomo models I've played. I even had my '63 Royal stripped and professionally repainted 'cause the original burst wasn't near as nice as that on the Excellent. They don't have the hand-made mojo of an old Mosrite but, in my humble opinion, that's most often a plus. The modern tolerances are much tighter making for a better playing, more in tune guitar with more uniform action. I know you're havin' fun with it! -Marty

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Really nice! As an owner of a Japanese Mosrite - a Firstman I think - I can tell you that even if it's not a "real" made in USA Mo, you will still get a lot of satisfaction from it. Like Mel and his Excellent, my Mosrite really does nail the Mosrite tone. I've been using mine a lot in recent months ever since I got the trem to stay in place. I think you paid a fair price for it too.

Byron

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:31 am

Trent, Juan, Kimmo, Marty and Byron, thanks guys for your kind and valued comments! It's winging it's way over the pond to me right now; I'll keep y'all informed :)

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”