MOSRITE SUPER EXCELLENT (Kurokumo)

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Re: MOSRITE SUPER EXCELLENT (Kurokumo)

Postby MOSDAN » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:12 pm

Hey Glenn--Great looking guitar. Cool blue color! I'm also a fan of the Kurokumo guitars and have several of them and can vouch they are greeeeaaaat!!!!!!

Yee Man

Postby Yee Man » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi Marty, thank you for that additional ID information. A Super Custom '64? I'll do some Google image searches to see if that gets me closer to identifying mine.

Mosdan and Strat-O-Rama, I love it. Unlike some who have stated that they need to adjust to the thinner neck (closer strings), I didn't find that I had to as I do not have big hands. Maybe an advantage in playing a Mosrite but not one when trying to stretch that pinky across a few frets! : ) I like the low action too. And it sounds great with little to no noise thru my VOX AC15 TB and Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb. Now if only I played like the Ventures...

Thanks for asking.
Glen
--------------------
1996 Rickenbacker 360/6
1996 Rickenbacker 360/12
2001 Fender '52 Telecaster Re-Issue
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2008 Dan Armstrong ADA6 Re-Issue
2006 Taylor 612 ce
1998 Taylor 814 ce
200x Mosrite (Kurokumo Super Custom '64)

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 am

late to the party, but whatever, more info about Super Excellents;

I just got one after purchasing a Fillmore 63' and an original 66'. THe super excellent has the Mosrite sound but I guess it can further be improved with the pickups and the pots.

My guitar had no issues whatsoever. The fillmore had a bad bridge, the real Mosrite is great but has worn speed frets, so compared to those this Kurokumo really plays great, dare I say excellent. I have found myself telling myself this things does play and sound excellent, that is the closest word to the way it plays. I would say Kurokumo wasn't 100% intent on staying true to vintage but making them better players. For instance, the german carve is really flat and small, like a 66' but even flatter whereas the 65' and fillmore 65's have a deeper carve in the area above where the pickups are. It's a small difference.

The frets are good, it has a locking bridge with locking saddles, the arm stays where I leave it. It really is nice, and it came with very low action. I have raised slightly and now when I play a barre chord, there is this warm resonance coming from the guitar, almost as if the metal parts where hollow so there was a bit of echo. All I can say is, it sounds great and I find myself playing a A barre chord over and over again, just pure pleasure :) I do wish it had a deeper carve and a Ventures logo though!

And to put it in perspective, the Super Excellent cost me half of what I paid for the vintage Mosrite, and the Fillmore too, certainly good value for the money (the fillmore vibramute was a mess, it is still being fixed!)

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”