Kurokumo Mosrite Custom 65 Bass

Aussie Chris

Kurokumo Mosrite Custom 65 Bass

Postby Aussie Chris » Sun May 23, 2010 1:54 am

I thought I would start a new post to see if anyone out there in mosrite land has had any experience with this model. There is no serial number, MIJ stcker on the back of the headstock, front of headstock has Mosrite of California and small Ventures Model logo and smooth p/u covers. I bought it new but believe it to be a manufactured in 2009.
This bass has sound and loads of it ! The neck p/u gives a warm low end thump while the bridge gives you some beautiful mids and highs and most tones in between can be found with the tone knob and p/u selector. I have only had the bass for a week but it has impressed everyone who has heard, seen or played it and I have played it at two of our bands practise sessions and am amazed how it cuts through the mix. Apart from changing the stock round wounds with flats, the set up out of the box is almost perfect, the intonation on the low E is a little out. I love the neck, its fast and easy to get around. I will take it out to play live next week and am sure it won't disappoint.

This Mosrite bass certainly has its own special mojo going on !!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Kurokumo Mosrite Custom 65 Bass

Postby Veenture » Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 am

Can't help you out there but what a lovely bass, you lucky man! Are you sure you don't want to swap it for my recent ebay gain: Arai VMB-75 candy apple red bass? :?
Mine does have a serial number!..... :D

Anyway, enjoy!

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:09 am

That is a very nice looking bass! Congratulations.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Eduardo Aguilu

Postby Eduardo Aguilu » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:34 pm

I just bought a Mosrite clone described as "Vintage Mosrite 1990 Ventures Electric Bass Guitar", single p/u. Before I bought it I looked at a ton of clones, copies and original Mosrites, '65 The Ventures model. I compared everything, the logos on the headstock, tuners (only from the front), location of each screw, etc. Since the "The Ventures model" logo didn't look like it was just placed on the headstock like on some but looks like it was placed before the paint/lacquer (?) was applied, the bass looks like a real Mosrite.

Now I look at your Kurokumo and my bass matches it. How did you learn that your bass is a Kurokumo? Paperwork with the bass? Particular writing/codes under the pickguard? How do Kurokumos compare with other good quality clones?

You can see my bass at http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mosrit ... -Guitar.gc

It's only one photo and, unfortunately, it wasn't taken straight, head-on, but slightly from a looking down angle making the body look compressed so that the detail including the tailpiece isn't clear.

Aussie Chris wrote:I thought I would start a new post to see if anyone out there in mosrite land has had any experience with this model. There is no serial number, MIJ stcker on the back of the headstock, front of headstock has Mosrite of California and small Ventures Model logo and smooth p/u covers. I bought it new but believe it to be a manufactured in 2009.
This bass has sound and loads of it ! The neck p/u gives a warm low end thump while the bridge gives you some beautiful mids and highs and most tones in between can be found with the tone knob and p/u selector. I have only had the bass for a week but it has impressed everyone who has heard, seen or played it and I have played it at two of our bands practise sessions and am amazed how it cuts through the mix. Apart from changing the stock round wounds with flats, the set up out of the box is almost perfect, the intonation on the low E is a little out. I love the neck, its fast and easy to get around. I will take it out to play live next week and am sure it won't disappoint.

This Mosrite bass certainly has its own special mojo going on !!

AZ Mike

Postby AZ Mike » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:43 pm

A great looking bass! Looks like it just came out of the factory!

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”