My fillmore Mosrite MK II Deluxe (Sunburst + Moseley Trem!)

JohnnySonic
Top Producer

My fillmore Mosrite MK II Deluxe (Sunburst + Moseley Trem!)

Postby JohnnySonic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi gang!

I thought I'd show my new guitar and collect some forum members thoughts on this somewhat strange, but cool bird. :)

I bought it just before christmas for about 1800 USD.
Apparently this is a short lived Mark II Deluxe model. I guess this was the Deluxe mark II for a short while before the Ramones-type model had to change their name.

The neck on this guitar is thicker and a bit wider than my JR sign. model, but the frets are smaller and lower.
Bending and doing hammer ons and pull-offs on the higher frets can get pretty troublesome.

Unfortunately it seems to fall out of tune pretty easily. Thinking of replacing the tuners. But I love the feel, look and sound of it.

Would love to find some specs of this guitar, but I can't get a hold of any.

Also, never having to own a guitar with a tremolo before...
I can't seem to reach the roller bridge to intonate properly as the trem gets in the way of my screwdriver.

This is the only picture I have at the moment, but more pictures will be added upon request.
As soon as I get my USB cable back from my scoundrel friend.

Thank you and have a nice day!
"If you can hear it, you can play it".
- Fred "Sonic" Smith

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: My fillmore Mosrite MK II Deluxe (Sunburst + Moseley Trem!)

Postby Veenture » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:36 pm

That is a sweet looking guitar! Think twice before deciding to replace the tuners though, they're often not to blame! There could be a host of other things for it not staying in tune. New strings always take a bit of time to 'settle in' and there is a special routine for fitting new strings to stay in tune, but I won't go into that now. Congratulations on your new toy!

JohnnySonic
Top Producer

Postby JohnnySonic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Veenture wrote:That is a sweet looking guitar! Think twice before deciding to replace the tuners though, they're often not to blame! There could be a host of other things for it not staying in tune. New strings always take a bit of time to 'settle in' and there is a special routine for fitting new strings to stay in tune, but I won't go into that now. Congratulations on your new toy!

Thank you sir! :mrgreen:
Yes, replacing the tuners is something i would really like to avoid. I'll just keep playing and see if the laws of nature will resolve the issue for me.
- Fred "Sonic" Smith

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Wow, cool guitar! It's a shame they didn't make more like it. The most likely source of tuning troubles is the string guide. I had one that always stuck on the G string. Thankfully I had a spare to swap in, but they do show up on eBay as well.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:26 pm

MWaldorf wrote:The most likely source of tuning troubles is the string guide. I had one that always stuck on the G string. Thankfully I had a spare to swap in, but they do show up on eBay as well.
Hey Mel, how's this? maybe a silly question, but wasn't a bit of filing away at the G-slot an option? :?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Veenture wrote:
MWaldorf wrote:The most likely source of tuning troubles is the string guide. I had one that always stuck on the G string. Thankfully I had a spare to swap in, but they do show up on eBay as well.
Hey Mel, how's this? maybe a silly question, but wasn't a bit of filing away at the G-slot an option? :?

Actually I tried a bit of filing and it didn't help in my case. Since I had a spare I tried that before delving further into the issue, so I don't know if it would have fixed it. I never did figure out exactly how it was sticking, but it sure did like to get stuck.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JohnnySonic
Top Producer

Postby JohnnySonic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be sure to keep an eye on the string guide.
Also, I can't really figure out these darn pickups! They sound great and all, but I can't figure out what type they are. :geek:

I suspect they may actually be humbuckers. I think I've heard of some instances where Fillmore Mark Vs' had humbuckers...
Or it may just be a classic case of overwound Mosrite single coil goodness. :)
- Fred "Sonic" Smith

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:50 am

Hmmm. Just a thought... Oh yeah! :D

JohnnySonic
Top Producer

Postby JohnnySonic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 am

MWaldorf wrote:Hmmm. Just a thought... Oh yeah! :D
http://www.halakahiki.com/mosrite/M-V-D3.jpg

Haha! :lol:

MWaldorf you crazy son af a gun you...!
- Fred "Sonic" Smith

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:36 am

JohnnySonic wrote:Haha! :lol:

MWaldorf you crazy son af a gun you...!

Just to balance things, I suppose that someday I ought to own a Strat with two pickups...

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”