Fillmore '65 and '66 reissues

last

Fillmore '65 and '66 reissues

Postby last » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 pm

Anybody have either of these? What do you think of them? There sure is a huge price difference between the two.

juan_10
Valued Member

Re: Fillmore '65 and '66 reissues

Postby juan_10 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:31 am

Yep , hi there mate .. I just got the sixty six reissue .. it ticks all the boxes for me.
It is cheap isn't it .... well , not really . I comes at the lower price because it has the slot
saddles rather than roller ones ...That said it stays in tune OK ... I've still got the strings it came
with , no idea what they were , but they sure had something that came off on my fingers for the first week or so.
Maybe thats the nickel plating lol.

I think rather than annoy our Hallmark fans here I should say for me the neck is fine , but for you I don't know , we all have different
sized fingers. For me , the main reason getting this was that the neck is right. Not a strat neck etc and with a zero fret .. little mandolin sized fret wire.
Anyway , moving on , the finish is top notch. I got the candy apple red rather than the usual sunburst.

The Moseley trem seems OK so far... there is a little gap maybe 2 mm at one side but so far so good , if I need to do the washer fix as per
an earlier post here then I will but so far so good. Tuning stability seems good so far but time will tell.

Mine came with split post tuners on all the strings but the top e string . I don't think this is right , maybe the factory ran out . but it ain't broke
maybe I'll stick a rhinestone to the top of it.
Replacement Klusons are maybe a little smaller than the ones on my ranger , the posts for sure are about 2 mm smaller on length ... maybe the headstock is a little too fat for the standard replacement.
Headstock says Mosrite Ranger.
It is a basswood body, so a little heavy but nothing compared to a LP. Lovely offset on the neck too. Hope this helps jv

PS I have no idea if the P90's sound the business .. but it says they are tuned specials. To me they have good tone. But I'm no expert.

midwestsurfer

Postby midwestsurfer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:10 am

last wrote:Anybody have either of these? What do you think of them? There sure is a huge price difference between the two.

You might want to contact Artie (bakeoboy on this forum) from Front Porch Music to get the lowdown on the differences between these two models. He sells Fillmore Mosrites and would probably be able to answer any questions you have.
Nick

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:09 am

I don't know what the standards are for guitars sent to the UK from Fillmore, but the Fillmore Mosrites that Arties sells are virtually flawless. At least I haven't been able to find anything wrong with them.
Danny Ellison

last

Postby last » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:15 am

what about any of the new fillmore mosrites really? i'd love to hear some owner (or people who've played them) feedback on the different models (like juan_10's insight). i was checking out the '65, but i'm weighing all my options on my next purchase: ranger, original '63-'66, vintage . . . i'm going mad over the choices. help!

last

Postby last » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:16 am

dubtrub wrote:I don't know what the standards are for guitars sent to the UK from Fillmore, but the Fillmore Mosrites that Arties sells are virtually flawless. At least I haven't been able to find anything wrong with them.

do you have one danny? i know you've at least played.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:26 am

I don't own one as I build my own custom guitars. I do own a couple of original '60s Mosrites and visit Arties store every few weeks as we are in the same city, so I know what his guitars are like. Dana Moseley works directly for Fillmore and personally set's up all these guitars and she too lives just a few blocks away from Front Portch Music. Maybe that's why the guitars are flawless. ;)
Danny Ellison

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:18 am

[color=#80BF00]what about any of the new fillmore mosrites really? i'd love to hear some owner (or people who've played them) feedback on the different models (like juan_10's insight). i was checking out the '65, but i'm weighing all my options on my next purchase: ranger, original '63-'66, vintage . . . i'm going mad over the choices. help![/color]

Yes, well here I go in the role of "underdog" Bassist again! (-:

I have a Fillmore Model- A 1965 'Ranger' Bass which is the Fillmore Japan-built version of the single-pup Ventures Model. It's SunBurst, short-scale, zero-fretted, speed frets, cream p/g
rosewood board, basswood body, rosewood tailpiece and Mosrite bridge, I believe it was called a roller bridge.

Everything about the construction and tone of this bass is 1st rate- I have several high-end basses, I acquired this Model, S/N RGB003, because it is a unique one-off very hard to find instrument, it plays amazingly, sounds totally kewl, and lastly because the wacko fanatics on this Forum pressed my intrinsic digging of the Mosrite design and vibe...
The Ventures were of my generation as a pre-teen; they were IT, pre-Beatles.

Not a guitarist, can't go there, not a Mosrite vintage owner or expert, can't go there.
Bass player, owner- CAN go there!

I posted about this instrument on Harmony Central Bass Forum
Many idiots dissed it..."fugly"
!

Rather have a Fender, blablabla.
Thye don't get it, they can't play bass (believe that!) and their freakin' brain cells are MUDD.
Okay rant over. :twisted:

Quality, tone, excellent instruments.

Fillmore makes a GREAT Mosrite as far as I'm concerned.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:19 am

I posted this a little while ago in the Music section. Here is a Fillmore Mosrite in action. It has the distinctive sound of a Mosrite. What I like about this guy's work is that it is not a Ventures cover (nothing wrong with the Ventures-I love The Ventures, but this clip demonstates a Mosrite in a modern music style application).
So, does a Fillmore Mosrite have "It"?...YES!
Just listen and watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3GfLPeyNs

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”