No more Rangers being made?!? Is this true?

GTSP
Top Producer

No more Rangers being made?!? Is this true?

Postby GTSP » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 pm

This is posted on Mosriteguitars.com. This looks suspiciously like Ed Romans old web site:

RANGER MODELS

The very popular Ranger 65 reissue models are going away forever!!!

Since The Ranger Came out sales have dropped tremendously on the USA made & Japanese Classic Models.

There are currently Less than 15 Rangers in stock.

Upper management has decided that we can no longer afford to lose sales on the core product.
These lower cost models were intended as an alternative.
The quality, tone & playability standards that have been strictly adhered too has cost the company too much and therefore the product can no longer be offered.

If you want to buy one see the price list on the left. They will be listed until the last one is gone
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Re: No more Rangers being made?!? Is this true?

Postby dorkrockrecords » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Yes, that site is Ed Roman's handiwork (if you notice, he didn't even spell Fillmore correctly).

But the real question is "who cares?" Fillmore seems to change model names and introduce new ones every year, so there's not much use in getting attached to what they are calling your guitar this week. But as of this month, brand new Rangers are still hitting shops in Japan so I wouldn't give much credence to Ed's words. Maybe he doesn't like his profit margin on the Ranger so he'll no longer be carrying them, but trust me, the sky is not falling. Ed Roman is the guy who first declared his Mosrite prowess by selling $500 Mosrite of Century (made in China) guitars for $1500 a pop on eBay as the genuine article. And unfortunately, he sold a lot of 'em.

Adam

bakeoboy
Top Producer

Postby bakeoboy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:04 pm

thats right no more rangers,
to replace the rangers Fillmore has introduced the new '66 models with the Moseley trem and optional Dana-Mo pickups. These are being assembeled by Dana in Bakersfield and are avalible from Front Porch Music as well.

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:16 pm

How much, pictures & is that lawsuit by Loretta gonna mess with you guys?
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:45 pm

GTSP wrote:How much, pictures & is that lawsuit by Loretta gonna mess with you guys?

I think this means he doesn't have to say anything about it. I wouldn't say anything on a public forum either considering the situation.

bakeoboy wrote:
gplayer wrote:Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa....I wonder where Dana and Artie fit in to this drama? :?

ETA..also, if Loretta wins this, I wonder if she'll go after Hallmark (Bob Shade) for intellectual infringement, also? This should get very interesting.

I know nothing...nothing...
Artie
Danny Ellison

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:39 pm

I wouldn't by a Ranger anyway. I'd rather by a Hallmark for half the dough and have twice the Guitar!!!! I sure wouldn't give Ed Roman my money.
Click on logo to visit website

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:29 am

thunderhead wrote:I wouldn't by a Ranger anyway. I'd rather by a Hallmark for half the dough and have twice the Guitar!!!! I sure wouldn't give Ed Roman my money.

I like my Ranger. I've looked at those Hallmarks. I might one day purchase the swept wing &/or the Hallmark II.
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:40 am

GTSP wrote:I like my Ranger.

Yea, me too. I would like to have another for a backup. When we played at a guitar instrumental festival here in the end of June, there was a sales desk for new Mosrites. The price of a new Ranger was 1999,00 EUR.
This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:19 am

"I like my Ranger. "

Yeah, me three. Let me add my .02:

I got the "bug" for a Mosrite (bass) largely through salivating/admiring stuff on this site.
(I was a mere teenager when the Ventures made Mosrite da bomb, so I definitley have the Mosrite cool-factor ingrained in me). NOTHING else has the Mosrite "vibe".

I personally am a NOS type of guy, and the vintage Basses I saw that were for sale were just a bit too "road-worn" for my tastes.

I saw the Fillmore product at- Ed Romans - and have been living happily ever after since I bought my Ranger Bass.

Ed Romans price was a bit high-dollar, but where else is one available?? I even E-mailed Fillmore (no reply). besides which shipping and customs would have been an equalizer anyway.

Anyway- the 'Burst Ranger single pup bass is a trip and a half! VERY well-built (believe me; I know!) and sounds just awesome.
Although it may not be the real deal Semie-built instrument, it sure is a faithful reproduction build-wise, and I'm betting sonically as well.

As far as I'm concerned, lawsuits and other "stuff" aside, it IS a present-day Mosrite!

My .02 re the Ranger series! 8-)

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:02 am

All those Fillmore Mosrites are basically the same since they are built on the same CNC machinery. The difference is the electronics and the logo on the headstock. The discontinued Ranger name is still as much a quality guitar as it's replacement. I'd guess since the Ranger was originally built and assembled in Japan, Mr.Yusa apparently decided since Dana was assembling them here in Bakersfield and sending them back to Japan to be sold, they may as be updated with a new name. Think Marketing!
Danny Ellison

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”