Breaking News: Mosrite Lawsuit.........

thunderhead
Top Producer

Re: Breaking News: Mosrite Lawsuit.........

Postby thunderhead » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:55 am

I live less than an hour from Loretta in East Tenn. I emailed a week ago to try and get some info on a recently aquired Mosrite or two I got from the Jonas Ridge and Booneville days. I got an email back a few days ago from her assistants saying my email would be forwarded to Her. I am still waiting. I hope to get a face to face meeting to discuss what might be still lying around the hills here. I am a local Youth Minister and if all else fails may take a trip to the Church she plays Organ in. I'll keep you all in the loop in my quest to un-earth more Mosrite Treasures :!: Your "Mosrite Archeologist", Billy Crawford - AKA "ThunderHead"
Click on logo to visit website

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Well, the only common denominator between Dana and Loretta is Semie. They are not related. Loretta was Semie's last wife before he passed away. Now it's a battle of who is the rightful 'Mosrite' not 'Moseley' heir. Dana works for Fillmore and Loretta is in with some other Asian company. I do believe Fillmore is in the lead but it will be entertaining to watch the drama unfold.

The last thing I want to see from Mosrite is drama. all I want to see is guitar guitar and more guitars. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
I think I'd even settle for a mosrite banjo at this point heh.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:18 am

To my knowledge, Jesus did work for BC Rich and worked with Semie too. He was around pretty much every time I spoke with Loretta and, I did meet him on a few occasions, very nice guy. Some of his work looked great, some was downright awful( I won't even show you my guitar from him). In his defense, he had nothing to work with, very few tools, no spray booth, iffy materials and of course Loretta. I do not know if they got married but, any married guy, with kids, that spends years living in another country with a woman, well, ya never know! He was not a guitar player though, neither was Loretta. From the dealings I had with her over the years, I can't believe the guy stuck with her, hope it gets better for him.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Scotstandard

Postby Scotstandard » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:38 am

bummer.

copies are copies, we all know the REAL mosrites are never going to be made again. no matter where.

EF Elliot and Hallmark are the only real ones left and they dont need an M stamp to be real mosrites
I regret not the things i have done, but the gear i did not buy.
http://www.myspace.com/theonenightstandards
scotstandard@yahoo.com

wstagner

Postby wstagner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:01 am

Suing people is no way to make a living, cept that's what attorneys do then they take 1/3 mininum of whatever they win for their fee. Tort reform, loser pays. Problem solved. Will never happen.

I'm thrilled for everyone here who has an "original" but equally thrilled that the rest of us have "Mosrite" options. Although I regret trading my Ventures model Mosrite 25 years ago for my Hunt, it sounded dead and no one I could find local could "fix" it. Now I can buy one of the options and get a better playing/sounding guitar than mine ever was.

Let's continue to show our support for Hallmark and the other Mosrite cloners we value with our wallets. No gov bailout for them needed.
;)

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:09 am

Dang! I hate that ... no more "real" Gibsons (since Orville's dead), Rickenbackers (since Adolph's dead), Fenders (since Leo's dead) - you get the picture ... :roll:
So many guitars; So little time ..

TimR
Valued Member

Postby TimR » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Everything is somehow a copy of something else. Semie just built on what others before him had done, and added a few personal traits. Guys like Leo Fender, Les Paul, Paul Bigsby, etc., were real innovators, as they didn't have much to work with starting out. Semie did have a Strat to flip over & trace out to come up with the basic shape of the guitar that would make him famous. What's the difference if Bob Shade, or some dude in Japan makes a copy of what Semie did. All Lorretta really needs to do is get a cease & desist order for them using the name, which is a legal issue. That's what the Ventures did -then Don Wilson went out and put that Ventures logo on other Mosrite copies. I think the old saying should apply that imitation is the best form of flattery -but do like Bob Shade & put your own name on it.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:28 pm

GattonFan wrote:Dang! I hate that ... no more "real" Gibsons (since Orville's dead), Rickenbackers (since Adolph's dead), Fenders (since Leo's dead) - you get the picture ... :roll:

:lol: True story.

I use to think differently but these new Fillmore Mosrites are so exact Semie would be shocked. Fillmore does honor to the Mosrite name. I doubt very seriously if Leo ever actually touched my '62 Strat. :shock:
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Hey, this is a really great discussion going here ...real "Mosrite stuff". Now here's a point to ponder:
you know mosriteers, I'm sure some of our opinions would have to need some serious re-thinking if Nokie Edwards had picked up one of Semie's earlier designs ...instead of the 'reversed Strat' Joe Maphis model shape when he did... :shock:

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Great observation Veenture :!: What if :?: By the way I mailed your CD's out a few days ago, I hope you have them soon. :D
Click on logo to visit website

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”