Eastwood Sidejack

64sunburst
Top Producer

Eastwood Sidejack

Postby 64sunburst » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:52 pm

I just stumbled onto this site from the Surf Guitar 101 site. I play bass/guitar in a surf band in Honolulu called Tiki Taboo. I recently put in an order for an Eastwood Sidejack in Greenburst with the Bigsby option - didn't dig the Burns tremelo. Anyone have one of these? A real Mosrite is beyond my reach financially, so I thought the Eastwood was a good alternative. I was not aware of the Hallmarks and Fillmores, so now these have got me thinking. But I'm looking forward to getting the Eastwood as I think the Greenburst lookes really cool, especially after I saw one of the guys in REM playing one on Austin City Limits. Anyways, this is a real cool site and I will be visiting it again.

zak

Re: Eastwood Sidekack

Postby zak » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:23 pm

Sidekack :lol: :lol: :lol:

64sunburst
Top Producer

Re: Eastwood Sidejack

Postby 64sunburst » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:20 am

I know...I meant SIDEJACK but my fat fingers typed sidekack! Didn't notice till later...didn't know how to fix it. But seriously, what's the feeling on this page about those guitars? I know it's not an exact clone, but I thought it captured the Mosrite vibe better than the Wilson Bros. I used to play a Wilson Bros. bass which was pretty good but didn't like the fact that it didn't have the reverse Fender shape.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:14 am

I haven't had any experience with any of the clones (other than the one's I build) but Mosrites style guitars do have that certain sex appeal. I have viewed the Dillions, Eastwoods, Univox, and Wilson's but I haven't heard anyone respond with personal experience. Usually if I'm interested in a certain product I'll check out Harmony Central to see what some of the feed back is.

I would hope that once you received your 'sidejack' you can give us your review here on the forum. Personally I feel that a person has to go with what is available to them and what they can afford. We all know what one person likes, someone else may not. I wouldn't expect it to sound like a Mosrite, but that can probably be corrected by getting a set of Novak, Elliot or Duncan replacement pickup's at a latter date. I have a set of P 90's in one of my clones and really like the way they sound, especially through a reverb unit.
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Well, this topic got my interest up so I went to Harmony Central to read the reviews. It seems it about 99% favorable. So, looks like you are in for a treat with your new axe. Harmony Central review
Danny Ellison

zak

Postby zak » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:59 pm

I wouldn't trust Harmony Central reviews any more than I would trust Ed Roman. :lol:

I've seen too many "I've had this guitar for 2 days but it seems like it is built to last forever" reviews written by teenagers and bedroom players.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Dubtrub wrote:
Usually if I'm interested in a certain product I'll check out Harmony Central to see what some of the feed back is.

That's true, as long as I don't start accepting everything etched in stone Danny, that anyone
checking H.C. should be OK. However, Zak does bring up a valid point, in which I too,
am seeing more and more bedroom players and teenagers doing the "reviews" on the items.
That's OK, to a point, but it sure doesn't help the poor lad doing this for a living, trying to
pay the bills, feeding a family, etc, etc. :cry:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:23 pm

Just an update on the Eastwood - it is on order and I'm hoping to get it soon. Although the Sidejack falls somewhere in the middle of "clone" and "inspired by" I just had to have it. My friend at the guitar shop has one and I thought it played really well. It's got the body shape, and I just really dug the greenburst finish, which is a big reason I want it. Most green guitar finishes are frankly pretty ugly, but this one just appeals to me. Maybe I'll spring for a Hallmark at a later date, but for now I'm getting the Sidejack. I will definitely give you guys a review when I get it.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”