Are they worth the money?

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Re: Are they worth the money?

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:57 am

Just for clarification, Fillmore used to be somewhat more transparent with the origins of their models by name. The Mosrite of California line was made in the USA, Mosrite of Classics in Japan, and Mosrite of Century in China. The Ranger line has replaced Mosrite of Classics for the most part, and Mosrite of USA has replaced Mosrite of California. Other than the recent Dana Moseley assemblies in Bakersfield, Fillmore still maintains a very high-end, very pricey custom shop line produced by Performance Guitar of Hollywood. The Japanese-made models come out of the Tokai factory, and it is unclear where the Chinese models are made. Confused yet? ;)

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:19 am

Thoroughly! :? Are there distinguishing characteristics among the bodies, hardware, etc. to indicate which company made what - especially among the older copies?
So many guitars; So little time ..

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:33 pm

GattonFan wrote:Are there distinguishing characteristics among the bodies, hardware, etc. to indicate which company made what

Mosrite Of California= Kurokumo/ Loretta Mosely
Mosrite Of USA= Fillmore/ Dana Mosely assembled
Mosrite of Classics= Fillmore
Mosrite Ranger= Fillmore

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Loretta has no connection with Kurokumo. The Swing Science operation is something entirely different.

Not all Mosrite of USAs are assembled by Dana Moseley. I believe the Performance models are also sold under the "Mosrite of USA" label.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:58 pm

As far as identifiable marks, Kurokumo guitars tend to have Mosrite logos on the neck plates and locking trem bearings. Swing Science guitars have a facsimile of Semie Moseley's signature on the headstock. Fillmore guitars (at least modern ones) will have one of the many logos already discussed.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:23 pm

dorkrockrecords wrote:Loretta has no connection with Kurokumo. The Swing Science operation is something entirely different.

Not all Mosrite of USAs are assembled by Dana Moseley. I believe the Performance models are also sold under the "Mosrite of USA" label.

This raises alot of questions. Then what connection does she have other than being Semies' widow? What is the Swing Science operation doing for Mosrite? And why is Dana not assembling all of the USA models when I read in another post that she is assembling all the USA market guitars and assembling some of the guitars for the Japanese market?

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Well, KRamone27, I think there is a problematic ideology at work. Mosrite - as the grand institution we are all at this forum to celebrate - no longer exists. And since the Japanese court ruling, all things Mosrite are analogous to the Wild West. In short, Loretta is nothing more than Semie's widow, and Swing Science does nothing for Mosrite because there is no "Mosrite" in the way you perceive it. There are several companies (and have been for a while now) vying for a piece of the Mosrite market; some have historical ties, some have fabricated ties, but all strive for the appearance of authenticity. What better way to authenticate your operation than having a Moseley on the payroll?

From what I understand, Dana assembles a small number of guitars a month. Some stay in the States, some are shipped to Japan. But there are several sources for Fillmore guitars, and Dana is not the only one in California (as stated earlier).

The sooner you embrace your confusion, the sooner you will be on the road to recovery.

rynaro
Top Producer

Postby rynaro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:15 pm

I say if it sounds good and the neck "feels" right in your hands it doesn't matter what the text is on the headstock.
I would much prefer to play a guitar that puts a smile on my face than something that looks great but plays badly.
my equasion; guitar happiness = (playability / sound)
thats my 2cents.

-R
Tym Sweeping Wing Jr #Z0094 (murph trem & mastery bridge)/ Tym vibratone #A0080 (jag trem/pickups)>Heaps of pedals>Vox AC15HW
http://www.facebook.com/tenderbones
https://tenderbones.bandcamp.com
http://ryanlhumphreys.bandcamp.com

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Word, Rynaro! Thanks for getting the thread back on track.

EFElliott
Top Producer

Postby EFElliott » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Hey Adam,

On one of your trips Japan, Have you been by Basswood 65??
Speaking of "Are they worth the money" I was checking out there
web-site, there list price on Loretta's 63 side-jack was 990,000 Yen
I think that's just a pinch over $10,000.00 bucks US, I was wondering
what they looked like up close?

Ed

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”