Mosrite Japanese Re-issue (2000's) - Tuning Problems

warthog

Mosrite Japanese Re-issue (2000's) - Tuning Problems

Postby warthog » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:36 pm

I've got a Japanese Re-issue Mosrite Ventures 65 Super Custom. I'm having problems keeping it in tune. Even when i'm not using the vibramute tremolo, it's a dog to keep in tune.Could there be other contributing factors,other than the trem?The guitar plays and sounds great. I've also got a Japanese Johnny Ramone Ventures II Re-issue, man are they ever light.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Mosrite Japanese Re-issue (2000's) - Tuning Problems

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Ahhhhh! the infamous going out of tune Mosrite problem. Hopefully you will get several suggestions as to how to cure the problem. There are many variables that can cause or contribute to the out of tune problems. Here are the areas I would investigate.

The string gauge being used with the type of vibrato spring is usually the first place to look for a cure. Putting on a set 11's or 12's with a spring rated for 9' and 10's, will immediately let one know they are not interchangeable.

You say you have the Vibramute vibrato, does it have the fixed bridge post or does it have the string rollers? Either way, a little bit of dry lubricant to the friction areas can be helpful. Fixed bridge posts are a little more problematic.

Is the string guide at the nut or at the zero fret loose? I always use just a drop of Elmer's Wood Glue to hold it in place, yet remaining removable if needed.

Another area of concern is the tunner's. Loose tuner shafts allow a string to go out of tune as the vibrato is used. Once slack is place on the string, a minor slip can occur in the gear of the tuner and it will not return to pitch without retuning the string. Obviously replacement locking tuners are the only real cure for this. There are some nice Kluson style locking tuners on the marker, but the are not cheap.

For the most part, any 'dive bomb' bends on the vibrato arm will cause even the best setup ones to eventually detune.
Danny Ellison

warthog

Postby warthog » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi , thanks for this info. I've got 9's on it, but i'm really not sure what the spring is rated for.Any way of telling?It's got the string rollers.I'll have a look at the tuner shafts.Thanks again.
dubtrub wrote:Ahhhhh! the infamous going out of tune Mosrite problem. Hopefully you will get several suggestions as to how to cure the problem. There are many variables that can cause or contribute to the out of tune problems. Here are the areas I would investigate.

The string gauge being used with the type of vibrato spring is usually the first place to look for a cure. Putting on a set 11's or 12's with a spring rated for 9' and 10's, will immediately let one know they are not interchangeable.

You say you have the Vibramute vibrato, does it have the fixed bridge post or does it have the string rollers? Either way, a little bit of dry lubricant to the friction areas can be helpful. Fixed bridge posts are a little more problematic.

Is the string guide at the nut or at the zero fret loose? I always use just a drop of Elmer's Wood Glue to hold it in place, yet remaining removable if needed.

Another area of concern is the tunner's. Loose tuner shafts allow a string to go out of tune as the vibrato is used. Once slack is place on the string, a minor slip can occur in the gear of the tuner and it will not return to pitch without retuning the string. Obviously replacement locking tuners are the only real cure for this. There are some nice Kluson style locking tuners on the marker, but the are not cheap.

For the most part, any 'dive bomb' bends on the vibrato arm will cause even the best setup ones to eventually detune.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:52 pm

At one time Zamminc was selling the Gotoh Locking tuners which were an exact replacement for the Kluson Tuners. I think they were going for around 50 bucks for the set, maybe he still sells these.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:32 pm

Dennis, don't you use 9's on you Mosrite? What's you secret to keep it in tune, or does it?
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:50 pm

dubtrub wrote:Dennis, don't you use 9's on you Mosrite? What's you secret to keep it in tune, or does it?

OK, well it was gonna come out sooner or later for me to be the laughing stock, but here goes:
I met a friend when I used to work at MARS SUPERSTORE back in '97 (Anyone remember or wants to remember MARS?) and I sold him a STRAT although he plays LES PAULS ( his guitar is named "Mighty Mouse"). Don told me (AND SHOWED how it works) what he does, and there are some BIG TIME Players out there using this Gauge.......................8s. :shock:
To answer briefly, do my guitars stay in tune ? Yes. BUT, everyone of them (including the Mo's) have Locking Machine Heads. And of course, yes, if you REALLY torture the living heck out of them, they WILL go out of tune. I don't care what ANYONE says, you CAN put a guitar out of tune, EVEN if it has the "SUPER DUPER Floyd Rose" Locking Vibrato System on it. There IS NO SUCH ANIMAL (Vibrato) that will stay in Tune if you torture it enough. LOL! But yes, Mr. Scholz showed me a trick on how to use the EQ to "your needs" and it is incredible!. Yes, you feel like you are learning how to play the guitar again, being that you are approaching the instrument with a different picking technique or attack. But once you overcome that (all it takes is practice), you will appreciate your instrument a lot more, no matter what 'brand' it is,
and it WILL stay in tune. And Don (who happens to be one of my Guitar Heroes) is gonna be in my neck of the woods down here at Hard Rock in Hollywood, so I got to make arrangements to make sure that we aren't playing that night, so I can go see these guys from Massachusetts! :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

warthog

Postby warthog » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:25 am

I'm gonna try the 8's. Also, the Gotoh locking machine heads sound like a great idea.I'm a little unsure on how the locking mechanism works on these.Are you still stringing vertically into the post like a Kluson, or through the side? Gonna check a few local shops.If i can't find them here, EBay i'm sure will have some.Thanks.
dubtrub wrote:Dennis, don't you use 9's on you Mosrite? What's you secret to keep it in tune, or does it?

warthog

Postby warthog » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:36 am

Thanks for your help Dennis.I'm gonna give the 8's a try.As well as the Gotoh locking machine heads.Will check out Zamminc , i've bought from them before(replacement pickguards for my Johnny Ramone Re-issue).Great seller.
Dennisthe Menace wrote:

OK, well it was gonna come out sooner or later for me to be the laughing stock, but here goes:
I met a friend when I used to work at MARS SUPERSTORE back in '97 (Anyone remember or wants to remember MARS?) and I sold him a STRAT although he plays LES PAULS ( his guitar is named "Mighty Mouse"). Don told me (AND SHOWED how it works) what he does, and there are some BIG TIME Players out there using this Gauge.......................8s. :shock:
To answer briefly, do my guitars stay in tune ? Yes. BUT, everyone of them (including the Mo's) have Locking Machine Heads. And of course, yes, if you REALLY torture the living heck out of them, they WILL go out of tune. I don't care what ANYONE says, you CAN put a guitar out of tune, EVEN if it has the "SUPER DUPER Floyd Rose" Locking Vibrato System on it. There IS NO SUCH ANIMAL (Vibrato) that will stay in Tune if you torture it enough. LOL! But yes, Mr. Scholz showed me a trick on how to use the EQ to "your needs" and it is incredible!. Yes, you feel like you are learning how to play the guitar again, being that you are approaching the instrument with a different picking technique or attack. But once you overcome that (all it takes is practice), you will appreciate your instrument a lot more, no matter what 'brand' it is,
and it WILL stay in tune. And Don (who happens to be one of my Guitar Heroes) is gonna be in my neck of the woods down here at Hard Rock in Hollywood, so I got to make arrangements to make sure that we aren't playing that night, so I can go see these guys from Massachusetts! :mrgreen:

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:56 am

Dennis,
Don is indeed a fine player. Is Mighty Mouse the nickname for his LP with the soapbar in the neck and the DiMarzio at the bridge?
Okay. I get the 8's. I get the locking tuners. What's with the EQ? Is this something that if you told me, you'd have to kill me?

zak

Postby zak » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:31 am

8s??? Kiss your tone goodbye.

The #1 cause for tuning problems on any guitar is friction at the nut. Put some graphite in the nut slots and see if that doesn't help.
Also, how much room does your bridge have to "rock" back and forth? With the roller saddles it seems completely unnecessary to have a bridge that moves - there's always the chance that it is not returning to its correct position. Another thing to check.
On a good night I can play a 45min-1hour set without ever touching a tuning peg. I use 10s on the Mosrite, and for me that's REALLY light.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”