Reproduction pickups

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Reproduction pickups

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:11 pm

As I've been looking to source parts for my new Mosrite project, I happened upon a Mosrite pickup in the "restoration" section of the Novak pickup website: http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/repairs/Mosrite/index.shtml

Having heard positive things about Curtis' pickups over on the offsetguitar forum (Jazzmasters and Jaguars) I emailed him to see if he was making reproductions. At the time he wasn't, but he just emailed me that he'll be making Mosrite single coil reproductions soon with a cost of about $95 including cover. Of course, I already purchased pickups so I won't be able to provide a personal review.

It's nice to know we've got one more choice for pickups. Come to think of it, besides Hallmark and the occasional E.F. Elliot, are there any other Mosrite repros? I don't think the Fillmore pickups are available, at least in the US.

Anyway, thought you might want to know.

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Reproduction pickups

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:35 pm

MWaldorf wrote:It's nice to know we've got one more choice for pickups. Come to think of it, besides Hallmark and the occasional E.F. Elliot, are there any other Mosrite repros? I don't think the Fillmore pickups are available, at least in the US.

Anyway, thought you might want to know.

Mel

Thanks for the info on Curtis Novak. Yes, there is one more maker, Seymour Duncan. They are EXPENSIVE. I posted a link to his pickups on another thread. Now if only someone would start reproducing the Vibramute with bridge assembly. :lol:
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Danny,

That's right, I forgot about the Duncan pickups.

Speaking of the vibramute, for completist sake I called Ed Roman to get pricing on parts for my project. First I had to listen to him rant about all the frauds and fakes and he was very cagey and suspicious of me. When I told him I was only looking for an arm for the vibrato, not any "Mosrite" or "Vibramute" stamped piece, he seemed deflated and told me it was a mere $125! Price quote from Hallmark for the same part: $50. I wouldn't even care to hazard a guess what he'd ask for a pickup if he'd even part with one. My guess is it'd be in the price range of a genuine vintage unit.

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:02 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Danny,

That's right, I forgot about the Duncan pickups.

Speaking of the vibramute, for completist sake I called Ed Roman to get pricing on parts for my project. First I had to listen to him rant about all the frauds and fakes and he was very cagey and suspicious of me. When I told him I was only looking for an arm for the vibrato, not any "Mosrite" or "Vibramute" stamped piece, he seemed deflated and told me it was a mere $125! Price quote from Hallmark for the same part: $50. I wouldn't even care to hazard a guess what he'd ask for a pickup if he'd even part with one. My guess is it'd be in the price range of a genuine vintage unit.

Mel

Hey Gang,
What about Tymguitars in Australia? I've seen somewhere that he is making repro p'ups for Mosrite as well as some other parts, but I haven't a clue what the prices are.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:22 pm

What's special about Mosrite pups? They are basically much more like Jazzmaster pups than P90s, correct?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:56 pm

ElTwang wrote:What's special about Mosrite pups? They are basically much more like Jazzmaster pups than P90s, correct?

They are two completely different animals internally, well, externally too. They each have their own unique sound. I like both, course I like a the sound of a Stratocaster too. :lol:
Danny Ellison

Curtis Novak

Postby Curtis Novak » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:24 pm

It is noting like a Jazzmaster, but is closer to a P-90. Where it differs from a P-90 is it uses a different gauge wire, wound hotter, and it dims are different. The pickup is much closer to a Guild pickup.

curtis

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 pm

Ok ;). Thanks.

My experience comes from a Mosrite Combo (only had it for a couple of months..) and for the lack of better describtion I found it to have that hotter P90 sound but with Fender twang.

zak

Postby zak » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 am

MWaldorf wrote:I called Ed Roman

The name "Ed Roman" is synonymous with "feces" in most parts of the civilized world... :lol:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:26 am

Zak,
Yes, I was aware of Mr. Roman's reputation. In fact, I'd been in his store in Las Vegas once and while he wasn't there himself I found the experience underwhelming. So, I figured, scientist that I am, I should call him to see how truly bad he'd be. Basically, he fulfilled my expectations. He wasn't a complete a-hole to me; I assume he saves that for complaints from paying customers.
Mel

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”