Snap, Crackle, Pop

dubtrub
Administrator

Snap, Crackle, Pop

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:03 pm

I've got two Mosrite clones that I built and used the Hallmark 60's pickups in them. I find that after playing them for a few minutes, I will hear electrical 'snap' sound. For some reason I feel that it is static electricity that some how builds up then releases as a snap or popping sound through the amplifier. It is not a continuous snapping only a one time snap or pop and then it's normal again for a few more minutes. I have everything grounded properly and other than the occasional snap sound they are perfectly quiet. It's strange that they both do the same thing. Other clones that I built using a different brand of pickups with lower resistance were wired exactly the same and never had that problem. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this with their Hallmark 60's?
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Snap, Crackle, Pop

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:36 pm

Snap, Crackle, Pop? Whatever you do, DON'T ADD MILK! :shock:
Danny, all kidding aside, have you contacted Shade to see if he has received calls from
owners experiencing a similar problem?
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:47 am

dubtrub:

I have been using my Custom 60 for almost a year now and have never had that kind of a sound come from it. I rewired mine just like a Mosrite and added 500k pots and a Switchcraft switch. Is there any chance that it could be coming from the chord or amp or maybe pedals if you are using any?
Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 am

I used that same diagram that I posted on the Mazzrite forum a couple of years ago and the 500 ohm pots also. This one has me puzzled. I have used that same diagram on 5 guitars and these two with Hallmark pup's are the only ones to do the occasional pop. These are the only pup's that I have ever used with nearly 13,000 ohms, so I'm thinking their high out put along with static electricity is my culprit. These are some Hot pickup's. The hottest I've used before were 8500 ohms. I know that sometimes when I touch some thing I get a electrical snap of stating electricity. I'm thinking it is discharging through my hands and is picked up and carried to the amp. Very strange.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”