Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

Postby Veenture » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:56 am

I Fully agree with what Jim and Dennis are saying but I also think I understand a little in what Bakeoboy and Lostventure are trying to say...

You know, I fell for a Hallmark 60 Custom sunburst because it fulfilled my need to have "that Ventures Mosrite guitar" after so many years of subconscious lusting for one (bought it only in January of this year! :oops: ) and playing mainly on Fender Strats -my first love BTW.

Ok, the disappointment -if any- was the lack of the Mosrite logo as well as the Ventures logo (heck, I'm a fan! :D ) but I soon got over that and my excitement didn’t diminish in any way worth mentioning. The Mosrite vibe and tradition was all there and the pricing was...such a relief. "I MUST have it!”, could NOT resist and got it, period.

Hallmark has left some of the old ‘Mosrite issues’ out of the design, made some improvements for better playability (slightly wider neck) and versatility of the pickups…and the Hallmark logo design even meets us half way! (it has a Mosrite resemblance).

Yes, Bob wisely flags the Hallmark logo, not trying to be something it isn't (or can't be, if you like) and it gives me a satisfying feeling that ‘Semie’s men’ have had a hand in it’s production here too…it works for me.

Of course a vintage Mosrite (Semie made) would be glorious to have but it is not within my reach (and most of us humble guitar players). Yes, there are re-issue Mo’s and no need to go to Japan either…hmm….a Dana made ’66 Mo’ is still on my wants list! :geek:

(my apologies for rambling on a bit)

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:31 pm

I am sorry if my post seemed a little crass. I just feel lucky to be old enough to have been around when Leo was still making (and creating) new Fenders, Gibson corporate figures still plated a part in creating the various Les Pauls, and Mr. Mosely was still producing the guitar we now cherish so dearly. I agree that current versions are all pretty much copies of the originals, some for the better and some for the worse. I guess my concern with the current Mosrite copies is that the reproductions are close enough and labeled appropriately enough, that someone might take advantage of some unknowing soul and attempt to pass them off as the original, at the escalated price of course.
To be more blunt, I consider the originals to be true American treasures that should be respected as such. Let's get back to playing.
Don

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:09 pm

This certainly is a friendly debate that will withstand the test of time. I happen to own both the Japanese copies, a Dana made Mosrite Original and 3 Semie made Mosrites. The Japanese copies and the Dana made Original are wonderful guitars in their own right, but for the most part are from the orient. I think Dana is a wonderful person and her assembly, electronics work, and finish are top notch. As has been mentioned before, Fillmore has contracted with Dana and the basic parts for assembly come from the orient, however, Dana installs higher grade elctronics with her own pickups. This is not a bad thing as Fillmore uses CNC just as almost all the other manufacturers of the world. Last night I was playing my Original and thought to myself what a wonderful guitar. As for the Semie made guitars-what can I say. When I pick up one of these guitars I get the same feeling I get when I pick up my 1953 telecaster. Oh what a feeling!!!!!!!!! True--you may pick up a Korean Telecaster and really like it but playing a 1950's vintage USA telecaster has Leo's "built in soul". So I think what we are talking about here is the feeling we get when we play a "Semie" made vintage Mosrite. This is just my 2 cents.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Nicely said Mosdan,
...yes I think that feeling(emotion) and sentiment play a HUGE role in our approach to guitars also. If I ever get to own a Mosrite guitar,
I would LOVE the headstock to sport a decal............EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE :ugeek:
:shock:

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:11 am

Just an observation on what appears to be deja vu - the same lack of marketing planning that failed to get Mosrite into the competitive mainstream, seems to be the fate of the 'New" Mosrites, also. As long as there is no distribution network (or plan to distribute), no marketing (aside from the little that is on this forum, or a couple of pix on Fron Porch's site) - it is doomed. Ed Roman couldn't get it done, because of his provincial thinking, exclusivity, and jacked up pricing, and yet it doesn't seem to have been a lesson learned by Fillmore,because once again, it appears they have only one point of distribution, and that virtually unknown outside of Bakersfield.

Strange, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in Japan, where there seems to be many portals to Mosrites, both online and in retail shops. Until something changes that - one person will have no problem keeping up with the demand for Mos in the USA - there just won't be any.
So many guitars; So little time ..

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:33 am

Yours is an important observation Dennis but I’m thinking the ‘artist link up’ with a particular type/brand of guitar is important too, if not more so.

You know, the Ventures have endorsed Mosrite for only a few short years during which time manufacture, sales and distribution was most successful I daresay but it seems the band is for all time tied to Mosrite in the media, especially in Japan because of mega populatity over there keeping Japanese sales going steadily. Since 1965 the band has endorsed other brands as we know; like Fender (again), Gibson, Aria and lately the Wilson Bros.

Nokie has helped prolong the success of the Ventures model Mosrite by playing (correct me if I’m wrong) on the “Nokie model” during some of his solo engagements in Japan. Of Course The Ramones and others have made their contribution but that's pretty much it.

There are too many new guitar gods out there today endorsing so many (new) brands making stiff competition for Mosrite.
Only if a mega new (preferably young) guitar hero comes along and just happens to fancy playing a Mosrite guitar then boy, just see how quickly a chain of manufacture, distribution and sales is set up. :shock:

wstagner

Postby wstagner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:15 am

In a perfect Mosrite world, what would the desired end game be?

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 am

I may be on an island here, but part of the appeal of the Mosrite is that not alot of folks play them. It has a feeling of belonging to an exclusive club. If the guitarist of Fall Out Boy plays one, and now every little teeny bopper wants one because of that, it would be both awesome & crappy. Awesome because the world would be exposed to the best guitar ever made (imho), but crappy because the demand would go way up. There are only so many vintage Mosrites to go around. & I want them all, by the way :lol:
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:29 am

GTSP wrote:I may be on an island here, but part of the appeal of the Mosrite is that not alot of folks play them. It has a feeling of belonging to an exclusive club. If the guitarist of Fall Out Boy plays one, and now every little teeny bopper wants one because of that, it would be both awesome & crappy. Awesome because the world would be exposed to the best guitar ever made (imho), but crappy because the demand would go way up. There are only so many vintage Mosrites to go around. & I want them all, by the way :lol:

Good point, It would be nice for them to be in any music store on the corner but we don't need a bunch of ungrateful kids playing them who treat their possessions like trash, Such as some spoiled girl I heard of who ruined her $800 Stratocaster by sitting on it. I'd rather not see idiots smashing beautiful vintage Mosrite guitars/basses/mandolins on stage. People wouldn't like me then... Volts would be angry... :x
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:46 am

DON'T PI$$ OFF VOLTS, PEOPLE!
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88